File Access tab in BitCurator Reporting Tool

dem...@udel.edu

Jun 13, 2014, 2:08:36 PM6/13/14
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I'm running the BitCurator VM 0.9.9 on a Mac Mini (OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion). I’m attempting to access files on a couple of disk images (Expert Witness Format) using the File Access tab in the BC Reporting Tool. The tool successfully launches the File Access Interface. I'm able to see the file structure (in this case all appear to be PDFs) and select files; however, nothing happens upon clicking the "export" button. There is no command line output and nothing appears in the output file directory I designated.

Any suggestions about why this is happening or how it might be fixed are appreciated.

Best,

Danielle

Kam Woods

Jun 13, 2014, 5:24:24 PM6/13/14
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Danielle,

Unfortunately, file access is somewhat broken in 0.9.9. The tool was heavily rewritten for 0.9.12, and now includes both more clarity (directories in bold, deleted items in red) and many bugfixes for the file export. If it's a significant burden to pull down and run 0.9.12, you can update just the bitcurator tools and scripts as follows:

1. Open up a terminal (black box with a > on the left of the screen).
2. Type "cd Tools" without the quotes and hit return.
3. Type "rm -rf bitcurator" without the quotes and hit return.
4. Type "git clone https://github.com/kamwoods/bitcurator" without the quotes and hit return.
5. Close the terminal.
6. Restart the bitcurator reporting tool.

As always, we're working on packaging that will improve the updating situation...

Kam

Maria Zepeda

Jun 18, 2014, 10:36:38 AM6/18/14
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have updated to 0.9.12 and see the changes you mentioned. However, I still have the same problem as Danielle where I select the files I want to export but when I press the "export" button nothing happens. Is there another way to export the files?

Best,
Maria

Kam Woods

Jun 18, 2014, 11:05:15 AM6/18/14
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maria,

If you can send me some additional information on your particular use case, I may be able to help.

1. What disk image format are you working with (E01, AFF, raw, ISO)?
2. What's the exact name of the disk image (including extension)?
3. What kind of file system is contained within the disk image (FAT, NFTS, etc)?
4. What types of files are you trying to export (along with sample names/paths, etc)?

If it's possible to send me the disk image itself, or the fiwalk output, that would also be helpful. Feel free to reply off-list to my Gmail (kamwoods).

Kam