Problems connecting USB

Margaret Kidd

Nov 24, 2015, 6:54:18 PM11/24/15
to BitCurator Users
Hello all,

I have read through the information in the group regarding USB problems. I am new to using VM and BC. When I took the Digital Forensics workshop I used BC successfully and was able to connect to the USB drive I had with me. Now I have tried several times without success to successfully connect via USB. I have tried both a flash drive and an external hard drive. First I encountered the problem of my pointer freezing when the flash drive was already connected and found that this was a VM problem. I have tried setting up USB device filters, running VM as the administrator, but nothing has worked. I keep getting this message:

Failed to attach the USB device Lexar Media, Inc. JumpDrive Retrax [1100] to the virtual machine BitCurator-1.5.7.

USB device 'Lexar Media, Inc. JumpDrive Retrax' with UUID {3ca9d8fe-4365-4d30-bfdb-86fb5f00200a} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDeviceWrap
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {c19073dd-cc7b-431b-98b2-951fda8eab89}
Callee: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Failed to attach the USB device HGST G-DRIVE [0005] to the virtual machine BitCurator-1.5.7.

USB device 'HGST G-DRIVE' with UUID {9229743b-1ec7-427a-9400-d4cd8bb5a294} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDeviceWrap
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {c19073dd-cc7b-431b-98b2-951fda8eab89}
Callee: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I am using a Dell laptop, not ideal, but don't have a dedicated computer for handling digital records yet. I have Virtual Box version 5.0.10 with the accompanying extension pack and BitCurator 1.5.7. Any ideas as to why I am having this problem and what I can do to fix it? I am at the end of my rope trying to figure it out!

Thanks.

Margaret Kidd

Dec 16, 2015, 11:06:50 AM12/16/15
to BitCurator Users
I still haven't figured this out. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Kari R Smith

Dec 16, 2015, 11:57:05 AM12/16/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com

Margaret,

At a quick glance at your message, I can suggest that you make sure that your USB device is connected to your computer only after you have logged into BitCurator.  In general, I have found that solves any of my USB not found connection-type errors.

Kari

Margaret Kidd

Dec 16, 2015, 2:51:39 PM12/16/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for replying. I did encounter that problem at first and it caused my pointer to freeze up. I found out that it was an issue with VM. I am having this problem even though I connect the USB after opening BitCurator. Per the error message it recognizes the USB drive, but doesn't connect because it says it is busy with a previous request.

Margaret Kidd

Project Archivist, Special Collections & Archives

VCU Libraries | Tompkins-McCaw Library for the Health Sciences

509 N. 12th Street/PO Box 980582, Richmond, VA 23298-0582

(804) 828-3152

em_twitter.png em_fb.png

Jarrett Drake

Dec 17, 2015, 7:58:57 AM12/17/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Margaret,

It's been a while since I ran BC in a VM, but you may want to consider the following:
  • Did you follow the VM setup instructions in the BC wiki? I recall that following this (well-done!) manual exactly to the T is a first step in BC-VM success. If you're unsure, you could always remove the current VM and create a new one.
  • If you followed the setup instructions exactly right, I wonder if you've had issues with all USB-connected devices, or just this particular one? That error message seems to suggest to me that it may be worth trying to connect different types and brands of USB devices.
  • If the problems persist, I'd recommend searching the web with those specific error messages and codes. The results of that search might point you to configure your host OS differently; you mentioned that you're using a Dell, but that's only the hardware. Which host operating system are using? Windows 7, 8? Mac? Linux?
I hope this helps!

Jarrett

pwolsen

Dec 17, 2015, 10:00:31 AM12/17/15
to BitCurator Users
Hi Margaret,

Part of the difficulty in answering this question is that the issue isn't with BitCurator per se, it's with VirtualBox's handling of USB devices, which is, as you've experienced, suspect at times. A couple more things to check in addition to what's been said above:

1) make sure you have the current VirtualBox extension pack. It comes separate from the VirtualBox software proper because it includes USB support that has a different open source license.
2) Make sure you have the latest version of the BitCurator VM.
3) Make sure your drive isn't a USB 3 device and isn't being connected to a  USB 3 port (this was supposed to be resolved in VB 5.0, but let's try this as a trouble shooting step).
3) If things still don't work, create a new BitCurator VM without any USB media devices connected during the first boot up (mouse, keyboard and printer shouldn't matter). Log into the new BitCurator environment and then connect your USB hard drive. Wait a moment and look to see if Windows loads the VirtualBox USB drivers. It's here that your USB mouse might cut out on you, but if it does, just let things finish and then use the keyboard controls to shut down BitCurator. Once BitCurator is shut down, disconnect the USB hard drive. Boot the system back up and then reconnect the USB hard drive. This should mount the drive and have no effect on the other USB devices. What we're trying to do in all of this is get those VirtualBox USB drivers to install properly. Once they're installed and working, USB devices should work without incident.

One other thing to keep in mind. I don't recommend using the BitCurator virtual machine to capture disk images because, 1) the USB headaches above, 2) disk imaging speed is 1/5th the speed of capturing a disk image in the primary/host operating system, and 3) if you're relying on BitCurator for write protection and the VM crashes, then the host OS will take back control of any connected USB media and mount them read/write. For these reasons I recommend using BitCurator as the primary/host operating system to capture disk images. Or, if you need to be in a Windows or OS X environment, capture the disk image with a tool like FTK Imager, save it to a shared folder, and then move to the BitCurator environment to conduct your forensic analysis.

Hope some of that helps!

Porter

Margaret Kidd