IMG files

Marisa Bruhns

Aug 2, 2016, 8:13:22 AM8/2/16
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We have an accession with some ".img" disc image files dating back to 2002. I have not been able to mount or extract anything from these images using either the tools in BitCurator or FTK Imager. I think they might be images from an HFS formatted file system. Anyone have any experience working with this type of disk image? Any ideas on how I might go about accessing it?

Thank you,
Marisa

Kam Woods

Aug 2, 2016, 8:48:12 AM8/2/16
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Did you try opening them in HFS Explorer (in "Additional Tools" in BitCurator)?

Marisa Bruhns

Aug 2, 2016, 3:00:15 PM8/2/16
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kam,

Thanks for your help!

I did try using HFS Explorer to "Load file system from file" and pointed it at one of the ".img" files but it could not open it.

I tried using "Show File Type", and it says it is a "PC formatted floppy with no filesystem".

When I right-click "Open with Disk Image Writer" it lists the image under devices but says "Contents: HFS — Not Mounted".

I also tried using the Disk Image Access Interface to open the disk image, but it says "No image information found".

I tried opening the image using FTK Imager too. It will let me add it as an Evidence Item, but under the File List it just lists one item as "Untitled [HFS]" and the characters in the preview pane are nonsensical.

Thoughts? I am not really familiar with the BitCurator disk image tools because we don't use them very often, so there is a very real possibility that I may not be using them properly.

Thank you!
Marisa