Problems with BitCurator 1.8.16 ISO

jswi...@swarthmore.edu

Feb 27, 2018, 1:23:55 PM2/27/18
to BitCurator Users
I have a new Dell Precision 7520 laptop and intended to install BitCurator on it. I followed the instructions for burning the 1.8.16 ISO onto a thumb drive, and am able to boot from the thumb drive. However, none of the usual BitCurator icons appear on the desktop, and there is also no 'install' icon on the desktop.  (I can tell that the system is booting from the USB rather running Ubuntu from the hard drive, because differences.)

To further complicate matters, the touchpad and mouse are not working, and I'm not going to bother hunting for drivers until after I install the OS. Might there be nifty command line options for starting the installation?

Other points: I ran the option to check the USB drive before booting from the USB, and it reported 8 errors. Yes, I checked the sha256 hash on the downloaded ISO file, and the hashes matched. I burned the ISO to the thumb drive on Windows 10 using Rufus. After the first report of 8 errors, I formatted the USB drive and did the whole process over again. I got 8 errors again. (I'd love to tell you what they are, but they speed past my eyes too fast to see.)  I decided to try booting from the USB anyway. I can boot that way, but there are no icons on the desktop for BitCurator functions or for installation.

I then tried the whole process again using Ubuntu to crate the USB drive. I still get 8 errors. I still can boot from the USB, but with no icons on the desktop and no installation icon.

Any ideas what to try next?

Julie

Kam Woods

Mar 5, 2018, 11:26:20 PM3/5/18
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
A minimal "tools only" install of BitCurator is now available at https://github.com/bitcurator/bitcurator-distro-minimal. See the README at that link for how to install just the basic BitCurator tools for any user in any Ubuntu 16.04LTS install.

For anyone else following this thread: Julie and I had an off-list discussion regarding this particular hardware. Dell provides a customized OEM Ubuntu respin for hardware compatibility issues that BitCurator (and other stock-ish Ubuntu images) do not cover, hence the release of this alternative. We'll be working on simplifying and integrating this process as an option for upcoming 18.04LTS-based releases in the coming months, as well.

Kam

Margaret Jessup

Jun 21, 2019, 3:48:15 PM6/21/19
to BitCurator Users
Hi,

I want to do a dedicated install of BitCurator on a MacBook which has dual boot with Ubuntu 18.04.2 already installed.  Would you recommend I install from the BitCurator ISO on a bootable disk? Or is there a current "tools only" version I can install in Ubuntu?  (I see that the tools in the link below are no longer maintained).

Thanks,
Margaret

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 1:23 PM, <jswi...@swarthmore.edu> wrote:
[...]

Lee, Cal

Jun 21, 2019, 4:09:29 PM6/21/19
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Margaret.

If I understand your situation correctly, I think what you want is:

https://github.com/bitcurator/bitcurator-distro-salt

- Cal