Guymager capture speed flatlining

James Baker

May 13, 2016, 7:34:02 AM5/13/16
to BitCurator Users
Afternoon all - I've encountered an issue with Guymager (running BC as a VM through VirtualBox with default settings on Mac OS X El Capitan) that I've never experienced before. It all works fine with small disks (floppies). But when I use anything a bigger (from a 4GB flash to a 150GB bare drive) I find the capture speed starts out at over 4MB/S (with estimate for capture of under 10 minutes) then drops to circa 0.25MB/S after about 10%. Result is I end up with a 4GB flash drive estimated at taking ~3 hours to capture. I've tried both saving the image file to an external drive and to the VM storage and get the same results. I've tried upping the VMs memory with the same result. Has anyone else experienced something similar to this?
Best, James Baker
--
Sussex Humanities Lab

Kam Woods

May 13, 2016, 7:49:32 AM5/13/16
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Could be a variety of things, but my own testing with El Cap (on a machine used to to build BitCurator in the first place) suggests this isn't normal. Did you try assigning additional processor cores to the VM, as well (Guymager is multithreaded)? Were you running other applications on the Mac?

Kam

James Baker

May 13, 2016, 8:10:11 AM5/13/16
to BitCurator Users
Dear Kam - thanks for getting back to me. I'll try more cores. On other applications, yes but nothing too draining (browser/text editor) and the performance in Guymager doesn't appear to change if I do something processor intensive outside the VM.
I'll test and report back.
Best, James

James Baker

May 13, 2016, 8:30:00 AM5/13/16
to BitCurator Users
Dear Kam - tested with 2 cores and the problem repeats. Very strange. Suspect there is something in my setup causing an issue. Guess I'll need to find a machine on which to install BC as an OS!
Best, James