Born-digital access research update at SAA 2015

Wendy Hagenmaier

Aug 14, 2015, 3:10:16 PM8/14/15
to BitCurator Users
Hi BitCurator Users!

For the past year, a research team has been working on a project to map the landscape of born-digital access. The team surveyed over 200 cultural heritage institutions regarding their access policies and procedures.

The team is preparing to share initial findings at a session at the Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting (http://sched.co/2y9i), and we thought that you might be interested, too. The document outlining our research is available here: http://bit.ly/hackbdaccess-report

Many of our respondents discussed the exciting progress that's being made with BitCurator, including the BitCurator Access project and the BitCurator Consortium. As members and developers of the BitCurator community, you would have very valuable insights and leadership to contribute to the session. We hope you might be able to attend, or to provide feedback or ideas as comments on the report Google Doc.

The session will be held on Thursday, August 20 from 11:00 am - 12:00 pm in Room 13 of the Cleveland Convention Center. The session is capped at 60 participants, and the seating is first come, first served, so please arrive early if you’d like to participate. Because we plan to refer to many online documents, it may be helpful to bring a computer or other internet-enabled device, if possible.

As mentioned above, we plan to have a “hackfest” for the majority of the session. This means that attendees will divide into hackfest teams. Each team will tackle a particular topic and develop a proposal for a collaborative project that would help address current obstacles to born digital access, as identified in our research. The teams will tackle developing project proposals for projects relating to one of these four topics:

UNDERSTANDING USERS FOR ACCESS: develop a plan for a collaborative project that would help archivists to understand the access needs of users of born-digital materials
ARCHIVIST BOOTCAMP FOR ACCESS: develop a plan for an archivist coding and skills bootcamp that would train archivists in the technical skills they need in order to provide access to born-digital materials
ADVOCACY FOR ACCESS: develop a plan for a study that would quantify the resources needed to provide access to born-digital materials and could be used by archivists to advocate for a future model of digital archives work
AGILE FOR ACCESS: develop a plan for training archivists to use agile methodologies when designing archival practices, workflows, and systems that support access to born-digital materials

Many thanks to those of you who may have participated in the research project. If you’d like to follow the session on Twitter, please keep an eye on the hashtags #saa15 #s110 next Thursday! Hope to see you there.

Wendy

Wendy Hagenmaier
Digital Collections Archivist
Georgia Tech