Issues converting attachments to MBOX with readpst in BitCurator

Tori Maches

Nov 4, 2016, 5:50:29 PM11/4/16
to BitCurator Users
Hi all,

I've been testing an email preservation workflow, and I used readpst in BitCurator to convert a PST file into MBOX files to import into ePADD. The emails converted and imported as expected, but the imported attachments are in weird file formats that won't open, with names like "Outlook.C:\Users\vmaches\Desktop\LibPST\pst_test_2\Inbox.2619" The attachment sizes generally reflect how big the actual attachment was (emails I know had image files have larger attachments, etc.) but I can't get these files to open, and when I open them in Notepad I get gibberish.

I've been researching the problem, and it seems like readpst has been working well for others (see this post: http://wiki.opf-labs.org/display/SPR/Preserving+MS+Outlook+(.msg)+E-mails+with+Attachments). I also tried importing MBOX files that weren't created with readpst, and those attachments worked fine. It seems like whatever happened to the attachments involves readpst in some way.

Has anyone else had this problem when they've converted PST files within BitCurator, or does anyone know who I should ask about this?

Thanks!

Tori Maches