New User with Oracle VM issue

Benjamin Bates

Oct 9, 2015, 4:47:07 PM10/9/15
to BitCurator Users
I've followed the normal steps for loading on my Windows 7 laptop using Oracle VM Virtual Box Manager.
At 'Start machine' for 'BitCurator' I get this screen then a blank cursor.

Any suggestions???
I would like to at least be able to start using BitCurator.  Thanks.

Kam Woods

Oct 9, 2015, 5:41:24 PM10/9/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
You may wish to read the Quick Start Guide; it details how to address the various causes of this issue. There are two likely causes:

1. You have not assigned enough memory or processor to the VM. The BitCurator VM ships with 1 processor and 1575MB of RAM assigned, but that's not enough on some machines. It runs best with at least 2 processors assigned and 4096MB of RAM. Keep the sliders in the green area (see the Quick Start for an example of this), either way.

2. You do not have the VT-x extensions enabled on you laptop (these extensions allow virtualization platforms to run 64-bit virtual machines). Many Lenovo, some Dell, and a variety of other laptops ship without the extensions enabled. You need to enter the BIOS (varies depending on your laptop how to do this, usually holding down escape or F12 or some special key), and find the setting to enable VT-x in the BIOS menus.

Benjamin Bates

Oct 9, 2015, 7:50:06 PM10/9/15
to BitCurator Users
I have done both of these for this Dell Latitude E5400.  The VT-x has been enabled through BIOS Setup.
In Virtual Box I am able to move the first slider to the Green at 1930MB of RAM but the slider under 'Processor' is locked on 1 processor.

Is there a way unlock the sliders and thus increasing the RAM and changing to 2 processors?

Thanks.

Kam Woods

Oct 9, 2015, 8:12:20 PM10/9/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Are you running a 32-bit build of Windows 7? Right-click on "Computer", select "Properties", and examine the dialog. It should tell you whether you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit build.

Benjamin Bates

Oct 10, 2015, 6:12:42 AM10/10/15
to BitCurator Users
It's a 64-bit Operating System, Intel Core Duo, with 4 GB of installed RAM.

Kam Woods

Oct 10, 2015, 9:51:34 AM10/10/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Your machine is likely running out of memory, then. You can try disabling any non-essentially services in the Windows system tray before booting the VM, and see if that helps.

Others on the forum with access to similar hardware may be able to help further.

[Matthew] Farrell

Oct 10, 2015, 11:04:16 AM10/10/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
This is anecdotal, but before installing BC as a native OS, I tested it as a VM on a Windows machine with 4 GB of RAM. I never ran into your particular issue but found that, even once booting, there was insufficient memory to run most forensic processes on disk images larger than a couple of gigabytes in size. This was fine for demonstrating the basic functions of the system, but also useful in demonstrating that I either needed to upgrade my hardware (tricky given budget season) or move toward a native install.

As a native OS on the same machine, things run much more smoothly.

Best,
Farrell