Does BitCurator have tools for perceptual hashes? Looking for examples of identifying Similar Images (derivatives, crops, etc.)

Kari R Smith

Oct 22, 2017, 1:29:07 PM10/22/17
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I remember seeing a presentation about using perceptual hashes to id similar images in a data corpus. What I’m looking for are examples of both tools/scripts and case studies / examples of looking for similar image files during triage or appraisal / processing.

Thanks for all pointers!

Best,

Kari

Kari R. Smith

Institute Archivist and Program Head, Digital Archives

Institute Archives & Special Collections, MIT Libraries

Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139

IASC office: 617.258.5568  http://libraries.mit.edu/archives/

she | her | hers   @karirene69  [smithkr at mit.edu]

Kam Woods

Oct 22, 2017, 4:38:42 PM10/22/17
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
It does not, but pHash 0.9.x should be simple to play with. Download, untar, and at command line in the directory run:

./configure
make
sudo make install

My understanding is that the wavelet method used is computationally intense, so be forewarned.

Kam

Kari R Smith