Guymager image time

Jennifer Allen

Aug 31, 2017, 8:47:28 AM8/31/17
to BitCurator Users
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently imaging some optical media (mostly DVDs) and have found that for some Guymager is working fairly quickly but for others it will get to around 15% and kind of stall there. It will continue to pick up Bad sectors but it will take an extremely long time to do so. I left one going overnight and came back the next day to the elapsed time having taken over 24 hours, the progress still at 15%, about 20 more bad sectors, and the time remaining at 126+ hours.

I was wondering if anyone had every dealt with a similar issue and if so what was the solution or work-around.

Thank you!

Jennifer

Ian Bogus

Sep 1, 2017, 9:23:46 AM9/1/17
to BitCurator Users
Hi Jennifer,

I haven't had any hang-ups with Guymager, but we have decided to use ISOs for most optical media using dd or ddrescue. I have had pretty good success with the latter recovering bad sectors. ISOs make a full copy of most optical discs, except for audio CDs. For audio CDs, we have been using cdrdao, which produces four files, a BIN, TOC, CUE, and WAV. The CUE and WAV files can faithfully reproduce the CD if needed.

The disadvantage is that most of the reporting tools don't work on ISOs.

Ian