Error on startup in Virtual Box

Chuck Patch

Aug 17, 2016, 1:33:54 PM8/17/16
to BitCurator Users
I did a clean install of VB and Bitcurator on a Windows 10 machine. Bitcurator v. 1.7.28 and VB 5.1.4, with the appropriate extensions, all according to the instructions provided in the BitCurator Quickstart pdf. When booting VB, I get an error message warning that "one or more disk image files are not currently accessible." When checking, the Optical disks tab on the Virtual Media Manager indicates that the BitCurator 1.7.28, and Ubuntu 14.04.1 iso's are not attached. This is interesting because I did not do an explicit installation of Ubuntu 14.04, so I assume that was included in the Bitcurator image? In any case, if I ignore these warnings, and try to run Bitcurator, a black screen opens with the message:
"error: invalid arch-independent ELF magic" and a grub rescue prompt. Can anyone give some guidance on where I am going wrong?

Kam Woods

Aug 17, 2016, 1:58:36 PM8/17/16
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you can ignore the ISO messages. They're just leftovers in the config file (we'll remove them in the next release). VB 5.1.4 *just* came out. It's possible that it changed something that breaks grub. I will check and get back to you.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Chuck Patch <chuck...@gmail.com> wrote:
I did a clean install of VB and Bitcurator on a Windows 10 machine. Bitcurator v. 1.7.28 and VB 5.1.4, with the appropriate extensions, all according to the instructions provided in the BitCurator Quickstart pdf. When booting VB, I get an error message warning that "one or more disk image files are not currently accessible." When checking, the Optical disks tab on the Virtual Media Manager indicates that the BitCurator 1.7.28, and Ubuntu 14.04.1 iso's are not attached. This is interesting because I did not do an explicit installation of Ubuntu 14.04, so I assume that was included in the Bitcurator image? In any case, if I ignore these warnings, and try to run Bitcurator, a black screen opens with the message:
"error: invalid arch-independent ELF magic" and a grub rescue prompt. Can anyone give some guidance on where I am going wrong?

Kam Woods

Aug 17, 2016, 2:32:18 PM8/17/16
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Sigh. Ok, I just did a clean install with both on a Win10 machine, and yes, it's broken. Still works fine on Mac and Linux hosts, oddly.

There's no particularly easy fix for this. You could try creating your own VM from the existing 1.7.28 ISO, or just wait a day or two and I'll have a 1.7.30 up to fix this (this update will also patch the nasty USB 3 kernel bug that made its way into Ubuntu 16.04.1).

Kam

Chuck Patch

Kam Woods

Aug 17, 2016, 11:17:03 PM8/17/16
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Ok, you can download BitCurator 1.7.30 now at http://wiki.bitcurator.net/. The torrent seed is coming up, and is now (for the first time) linked to the HTTP download. Tested / running on Mac OS 10.11 and Win 10 with VirtualBox 5.1.4. Patience with the download, it takes a bit for the server to stabilize. I will send out a formal announcement tomorrow.

Kam

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcurator-users/6ef64de7-b774-4eb1-95d9-8280069e0262%40googlegroups.com.

Chuck Patch

Aug 18, 2016, 11:22:52 AM8/18/16
to BitCurator Users
Thanks. I have downloaded the new version and installed as per directions in the Quick Start Guide, again with VB 5.1.4r110228. Correct extensions are installed, and settings for the VM are 8192 MB of memory, 4 processors. I now receive the following error with a grub rescue prompt:

error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found.

Kam Woods

Aug 18, 2016, 11:41:36 AM8/18/16
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hmm. I'm afraid I'm not able to replicate this on either of my Windows 10 boxes.

A couple of questions:
- What kind of host machine do you have? Processor type? Memory? How much disk space remaining?
- With the VM selected in VirtualBox, click "Settings" in the manager. Do you see any "Invalid Settings Detected" warnings?

Kam

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcurator-users/2ec6d6d8-20fe-4125-a42f-7f7dfe78cd2e%40googlegroups.com.

Chuck Patch

Aug 18, 2016, 12:37:25 PM8/18/16
to BitCurator Users
I'm running this on a Dell XPS desktop machine. Intel i7-4790 CPU, 12GB RAM, Windows 10 Home (which may be the problem -- this was the auto-upgrade from Windows 8.1 Professional.). 400GB of free space on the drive. I don't see any Invalid Settings warnings, and other than the changes recommended in the Quick Start Guide, everything is set to the defaults. FWIW, I do run Norton 360 Premier. Has the system been tested with Win 8.1? I suppose I could backtrack -- I'm still within the 30 days that one can do this.

Kam Woods

Aug 18, 2016, 1:00:43 PM8/18/16
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
It's possible Norton is interfering. Have you tried disabling it?

Kam

Chuck Patch

Aug 18, 2016, 1:58:24 PM8/18/16
to BitCurator Users
Just tried. Same message.

Kam Woods

Aug 18, 2016, 4:35:23 PM8/18/16
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Ok. I just tested the release on two additional Windows 10 machines, with no issues. This makes me think that your download may have been damaged or truncated, somehow.

Did you verify that the BitCurator-1.7.30.tar.gz file produces a matching MD5 sum to the one posted on the wiki? If not, please check!

For reference, the correct MD5 is 2122ebe90283f3712ebe130f6604403e. You can verify it using your utility of choice (or, for example, http://www.georgejopling.co.uk/md5-checker/ if you don't already have one).

Kam

Chuck Patch

Aug 18, 2016, 5:46:47 PM8/18/16
to BitCurator Users
Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

On Thursday, 18 August 2016 16:35:23 UTC-4, Kam Woods wrote:
Ok. I just tested the release on two additional Windows 10 machines, with no issues. This makes me think that your download may have been damaged or truncated, somehow.

Did you verify that the BitCurator-1.7.30.tar.gz file produces a matching MD5 sum to the one posted on the wiki? If not, please check!

For reference, the correct MD5 is 2122ebe90283f3712ebe130f6604403e. You can verify it using your utility of choice (or, for example, http://www.georgejopling.co.uk/md5-checker/ if you don't already have one).

Kam

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Chuck Patch <chuck...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just tried. Same message.

On Thursday, 18 August 2016 13:00:43 UTC-4, Kam Woods wrote:
It's possible Norton is interfering. Have you tried disabling it?

Kam

Kam Woods

Aug 18, 2016, 6:02:55 PM8/18/16
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Great. It is, of course, still possible that there's something wrong with the build that I've been unable to catch. Please let me know how it goes.

Kam

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcurator-users/cacc3284-7456-48ec-b6b3-13b4e956825e%40googlegroups.com.

Chuck Patch

Aug 18, 2016, 9:18:50 PM8/18/16
to BitCurator Users
I've run checksums on the tar.gz file for Bitcurator, and it passes. One more step: the vbox file is 5KB, and the .vdi file is 2.94 GB. Does that seem right? Beyond this, there are only two oddball things that I can think of that might have any relation to this. First, I run Office 365 and OneDrive, I have no idea why that might cause problems, but I had to remove extensions for Office Online from Google Chrome and Firefox because they were lousing up a couple of java based web applications I was running. Second, I have a Western Digital NAS that uses Linux, and 3 of the directories on the NAS are mapped to File Explorer as drives. These seem incredibly far-fetched, but those are the only things I can think of. That and that Windows 10 Home might be wounded in some subtle way. However, I am able to run vms for Ubunto and Windows XP in Vbox, so some things are working. And yes, I removed those when trying to get Bitcurator to work.

Kam Woods

Aug 18, 2016, 9:41:00 PM8/18/16
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Oh, hey, success! We've figured out your problem (but not how to solve it, yet). Your .vdi (disk image) file is *not* the right size - it should be about 7GB on disk. If your original .tar.gz passes, this file is definitely extractable (I just did it again on my own Windows 10 Home system using the latest 7-zip)

So this means...something. Your extraction failed. Are you using the latest version of 7-zip? And the 64-bit build? Did you right-click on the .tar.gz file and select "Extract here", and then right-click on the resulting .tar file and click "Extract here"?

Kam

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcurator-users/9c736c3f-9236-4133-bc8e-8ce2c6dddc89%40googlegroups.com.

Chuck Patch

Aug 19, 2016, 11:26:15 AM8/19/16
to BitCurator Users
That was it! I was not using 7-Zip. I was using something called 8Zip, which is packaged with Windows 10. It did not report any errors and extracted the files we needed. Many apologies for all the time I have essentially made you waste, and much appreciation for the help!

Kam Woods

Aug 19, 2016, 11:34:00 AM8/19/16
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com

No worries. Let us know if you run into additional issues.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcurator-users/df214670-0e19-4802-bc01-0c179297b473%40googlegroups.com.