BitCurator 0.9.8 Virtual Machine and ISO Released

kamwoods

May 21, 2014, 2:15:49 AM5/21/14
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

The latest release of the BitCurator environment (0.9.8) is now available at our wiki (http://wiki.bitcurator.net). Direct links and MD5 checksums can be found on the wiki, or you can follow the links below:

The BitCurator 0.9.8 Virtual Machine - 2.5GB
The BitCurator 0.9.8 Installation ISO - 2.2GB

This update restores access to the BitCurator reporting tool via the Desktop launcher, which was inadvertently broken in 0.9.7, and updates some Ubuntu dependencies. If you downloaded 0.9.7 recently, you do not need to download this update - you can fix the problem by following the simple steps below:

1. Start a Terminal session by clicking on the Terminal icon in the launch bar on the left-hand side of the screen.
2. Type "cd Tools/bitcurator/python"
    (without the quotes) and hit enter
3. Type "chmod 755 bc_reports_tab.py"
    (without the quotes) and hit enter
4. Close the terminal

You should now be able to run the BitCurator reporting tool using the Desktop launcher in the "Forensics Tools" folder.

Our updated Quickstart guide can be found here on our wiki, or in the Documentation folder on the BitCurator environment desktop.

As with previous releases, this environment is built on a 64-bit version of Ubuntu and may be unstable on certain 32-bit host operating systems, or host hardware with less than 4GB of RAM. Please don't hesitate to post here if you have questions!