Upgrading BitCurator

Jarrett Drake

Feb 16, 2015, 4:19:56 PM2/16/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We have BitCurator installed on a separate partition and so run it in the native environment. Is there a way to upgrade from a previous release (such as 1.0) to the latest release (1.2.1) without having to wipe out the previous partition and do a fresh installation? Perhaps through apt-get or some other means? This would be very helpful, especially given that our IT has written additional mount points and scripts for our current partition.

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

Best,
Jarrett

Matthew Disregardmatthew Farrell

Feb 16, 2015, 4:42:37 PM2/16/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com

I asked about this a few months ago. I think it's a planned feature at some point (in the near-ish term?), but not currently available.

mf

Christie Peterson

Feb 16, 2015, 5:16:06 PM2/16/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Farrell is correct. This is currently not possible in BC, something I saw as a major drawback to implementing it. I talked with Cal and others on the BC team about it last summer, at which time I was told it was a future goal of theirs to make it possible for users to keep the underlying OS but upgrade elements of BitCurator as they were developed and released. Perhaps someone currently working on it could chime in and give us an update on this?

Christie

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Matthew Disregardmatthew Farrell <bobisphat....@gmail.com> wrote:

I asked about this a few months ago. I think it's a planned feature at some point (in the near-ish term?), but not currently available.

mf

kuss...@umn.edu

Feb 16, 2015, 6:25:19 PM2/16/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
We would also benefit from this feature.

Carol

Kam Woods

Feb 20, 2015, 9:02:20 PM2/20/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jarrett,

Providing repository-based updates for software not already in the main Ubuntu repo (and select other PPAs already used by BitCurator) is planned for rollout in a future release. Note that the BitCurator environment is heavily customized from base Ubuntu (not just in terms of software installed, but also in how the core OS operates). Many of the past changes (which you can review in the updates at at the bottom of http://wiki.bitcurator.net/index.php?title=Software) could not easily be performed via package updates in a PPA.

There are somewhere around 100 different software items in the BitCurator environment that are not already packaged elsewhere, are packaged in the Ubuntu repository (or other PPAs) but are out of date, or have neither a package nor an installer.

I'm creating and updating packages for the most critical of these first, but I am also happy to provide a list software and support libraries (or post it somewhere on the wiki) and provide commit access to the BitCurator PPA to anyone else who would like to help!

Regards,

Kam

Houzanme

Feb 21, 2015, 6:09:35 AM2/21/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Kam,
Thanks for explaining the challenges of getting this done.

I am assuming that as a community, we would like to support the effort so we can all benefit from an easier way to update more easily without disrupting current processing work on the way.

Should you provide the exact list of applications packaged for BC, indicating the specific versions you used, and hoping others will join me in bringing together the right copies of the versions you are using, what would you say could be the best way to implement this package updates to achieve our common goal rather early?

Best Regards,

Tibaut Houzanme
-

Kam Woods

Feb 22, 2015, 2:16:09 PM2/22/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tibaut,

Kam

Houzanme

Feb 22, 2015, 4:18:52 PM2/22/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kam,

Thanks for the information.
My request to join is pending your approval. Cool that it accepted my Ubuntu One credential to log in and find that you are the only one on it!

The request process struck a nerve in me and I got to say though: I understand your frustrations when all of us are just asking you for something to be done, help, and what not, when you are the only one making it happen on the technical side. It is time for folks on this list to join the effort.

Opensource is not a software, and not a free ride, but a COMMUNITY.

Inline image 2

Best Regards,

Tibaut Houzanme
-

Kam Woods

Feb 22, 2015, 4:29:40 PM2/22/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Great. I'll have the full, cleaned-up software and dependency list up sometime in the next few days. It's more or less the only technical document that is *not* currently public, and the only reason for that is more or less that it has a lot of shorthand in it from the original project design.

Kam

Houzanme

Feb 22, 2015, 8:55:24 PM2/22/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Kam.

Will look forward to it, and to working with anyone on this list who would want to join your efforts to help make our desired change happen sooner.

Best Regards,

Tibaut Houzanme
-

Alex Garnett

Jan 14, 2016, 8:29:24 PM1/14/16
to BitCurator Users
Hey,

Sorry to revive this old thread, but did this ever go anywhere? I'd love it if more of BitCurator was maintained via deb packages in a PPA so you could upgrade more gracefully... is there any help needed?

walker

Jan 25, 2016, 2:53:56 PM1/25/16
to BitCurator Users
Hi Alex,

At the moment this is still a dormant project, but one we'd like to get underway. If you like I can add you to the PPA at Launchpad so you can see where the work would take place (https://launchpad.net/~bitcurator), and I can send some background info to you as well.

Best,

Walker

Alex Garnett

Jan 25, 2016, 4:38:33 PM1/25/16
to BitCurator Users
Thanks, Walker. By all means add me -- I think my Launchpad account is associated with this email address if it makes a difference -- though I can't promise I'll have too many cycles to spare for it, depending on how far along you are.

Caroline Gil

Jan 4, 2017, 1:44:38 PM1/4/17
to BitCurator Users
Hello all,

Is this the same case for the VM build? We would also benefit from a apt-get type of upgrade, but I also understand why this may be a long time coming...

Best regards to all,