BitCurator 0.9.13 Virtual Machine and ISO released

kamwoods

Jun 30, 2014, 8:10:30 PM6/30/14
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

The latest release of the BitCurator environment (0.9.13) is now available at our wiki (http://wiki.bitcurator.net). Direct links and MD5 checksums can be found on the wiki, or you can follow the links below:

The BitCurator 0.9.13 Virtual Machine - 2.6GB
The BitCurator 0.9.13 Installation ISO - 2.3GB

As you've probably noticed, we're sneaking in a few more releases before our official 1.0 drop. These releases include a lot of interesting new functionality, and we wanted to let you try them out as possible.

In 0.9.13, we're excited to include a much-improved version of the "File Access" tab in the BitCurator Reporting Tool. This module now allows you to export files and deleted/unallocated items directly from FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, HFS+, ISO9660, and ext volumes stored in raw, AFF, and EWF (including split AFF and split EWF) disk images.

0.9.13 also includes the 4.9.0 release of the BagIt (Java) library, along with a few other new tools (Antiword for export of legacy Word documents to TXT / PDF, ssdeep for fuzzy hashing, and ddrescue to complement the existing imaging tools).

Our updated Quickstart guide (which includes more detailed guidance on using the File Access tab) can be found here on our wiki, or in the Documentation folder on the BitCurator environment desktop.

As with previous releases, this environment is built on a 64-bit version of Ubuntu and may be unstable on certain 32-bit host operating systems, or host hardware with less than 4GB of RAM. Please don't hesitate to post here if you have questions!