3.5" diskette problem with fiwalk - "identify file names"

arieljacobsegal

Feb 4, 2015, 12:08:22 PM2/4/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi all. I have been experimenting with BitCurator on my 2.8 Ghz OSX 10.6 Mac w/ 4 GB RAM (which worked!)

I have successfully run Guymager, Bulk_Extractor, and Bit Curator Reporting Tool (including fiwalk etc) on a DVD-Video disc.

When processing 2 different 3.5" Macintosh diskettes dating from the mid-1990s, Guymager and Bulk_Extractor worked fine,
but the Reporting Tool had problems. "identify_filenames" terminated with an error. No files were detected in the image file.
(See 1st screencap)

When I went into the fiwalk-generated XML file, I found many errors called "TSK_Error 'Cannot determine file system type' " for various sectors.(see second screencap)
Does anyone know what could be causing these errors? Both diskettes have Microsoft Word and/ or ClarisWorks type files on them, and Bulk_Extractor worked fine on both.

Best Ariel Segal
Bitcurator35diskettereportingerror.png
XMLFiwalk35disketterror.png

Donald Mennerich

Feb 4, 2015, 12:20:30 PM2/4/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
The disks are likely HFS formatted and the underlying library for parsing the filesystem with fiwalk, 'The SleuthKit', does not support this filesystem.

Donald R. Mennerich, digital archivist
New York University Libraries

Alex Nelson

Feb 4, 2015, 12:21:55 PM2/4/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ariel,

Donald's right, for now.  TSK does not currently support HFS.

This was discussed at the BitCurator Users' Forum in early January.  There are a couple plans to fix this problem, but for now, you won't be able to read the files from those diskettes' images.

This problem won't be around forever, so you could most effectively wait by creating image files of your floppy drives before the media fails, having them ready for when BitCurator can read them.

--Alex

arieljacobsegal

Alex Nelson

Feb 4, 2015, 12:28:14 PM2/4/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
I'm guessing that would be FAT-formatted, so it should be supported just fine.

If it isn't, that's a more interesting situation and at least I would like to hear about it.

--Alex

Kam Woods

Feb 4, 2015, 12:46:45 PM2/4/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com