Disk Image Access problem

Margaret Kidd

Dec 21, 2016, 6:42:33 PM12/21/16
to BitCurator Users
Hi,
I'm having a problem with the Disk Image Access tool. I'm able to get the disk image created using Guymager, but when I try to open it using Disk Image Access it says that it is generating the directory tree, but it never does. It used to work fine, but suddenly stopped. I am running the latest version of VirtualBox and BC. Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Kam Woods

Dec 21, 2016, 7:08:33 PM12/21/16
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Confirmed. This appears to be the result of a fix made for another third party tool that inadvertently resulted in the incorrect version of fiwalk.py being included in release 1.7.92. It should be resolved in the next release.

Kam

Kam Woods

Dec 21, 2016, 11:10:10 PM12/21/16
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Margaret,

Sorry, that should have been "dfxml.py", not "fiwalk.py".

Some further clarification, as I've now fixed this issue in the source repository. Over the years, the canonical Python library for DFXML (https://github.com/simsong/dfxml/blob/master/python/dfxml.py) has undergone some changes, particularly after Alex Nelson did some work on it a couple of years back. Recently, Dianne Dietrich ran into an issue with one of her tools - hfs2dfxml - was only failing when run in the BitCurator environment, specifically because our included version of dfxml.py did not include certain namespace directives that were in the latest version. I took a quick look at the diff between the two versions, and - believing them to be functionally equivalent - updated it. It turns out that one very short function - returning the sector size of the disk image for a particular object class - is not in the canonical version, but is required by the Disk Image Access Tool.

If you have an urgent requirement to use the DIAT, you can run the following in a terminal:

cd bitcurator-distro-tools
python3 setup.py build
sudo python3 setup.py install

And the latest patched version will be installed. Otherwise, a new release of the full environment will be coming soon.

Regards,

Kam

Kam Woods

Dec 22, 2016, 2:45:10 PM12/22/16
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Fixed in the latest release (1.7.98) which is now on the wiki. Latest VM also includes updated VBox guest extensions (5.1.12), which were released yesterday.

Kam

Margaret Kidd