Question about mounting a large disk image

Jessica Moran

Feb 24, 2015, 10:59:58 PM2/24/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We've recently imaged a 1TB external drive and the imaging seemed to go sucessfully. However when we went to mount the disk image to browse contents using the right click  scripts -> mount disk image and (mounting from the first .EO1 chunk since it broke the image into mulitple peices) we found that large portions of the files were missing. It looked like it was only mounting the files on that portion of the disk image. Is that correct or are we attempting to mount the image incorrectly?

When we went to look at the files using the BitCurator Access Tool it did seem like based on some spot checking all the files were there and the size counts were correct.

Is there a way to browse contents of the entire disk image when dealing with large images like this one?

Thanks,
Jessica

Kam Woods

Feb 25, 2015, 12:37:09 AM2/25/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jessica,

The menu item you're selecting uses John Lehr's "fmount" script (located in /usr/local/bin/fmount) to mount single-file and split disk images. It's possible you've found a bug/issue (one that wouldn't show up in the Disk Image Access tool we developed, as it uses a different set of software libraries to parse the image without mounting it).

The fmount script was last modified in 2011, and may require an update to handle split images correctly. I'll need a bit of time to look into it and do some additional testing.

Regards,

Kam

Jessica Moran

Mar 2, 2015, 3:54:50 PM3/2/15