recursive directory selection within BitCurator Disk Image Access tool?

Shawn

May 30, 2016, 4:15:43 PM5/30/16
to BitCurator Users

I am a personal user interested in using BitCurator for recovering photos and word documents off a crashed HFS+ drive. I have already had a degree of success with PhotoRec, but with that I was unable to retain the file names and folder structures. There are so many files involved that retaining the file names and folders would be valuable.

I've had luck with BitCurator in using Guymager to create an image and I was then able to extract folders and nested files from that image using the "BitCurator Disk Image Access tool", but at the rate of only maybe 100 files per hour. At this rate the entire drive would take me about 250 days to export from the image.

Is there a way for me to select specific directories (and all nested files and folders) for export? I did see how to select individual files (but not folders), however clicking to select thousands of files individually seems unfeasible.  If I could select specific folders (and all nested files and subfolders) it would still take a long time, but it should be substantially faster than the whole drive.

I've also tried and failed with other methods of fixing and mounting an image (using testdisk) ... but it seems that HFS+ might be complicating the recovery. Any general advice on how to best extract thousands of photos and word docs from a 12 year old HFS+ drive would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Shawn