Can anybody tell me how to use bitcoinj and hyperledger project (www.hyperledger.org)?

Jungwhan Kim

Apr 8, 2017, 12:15:29 AM4/8/17
to bitcoinj
Hi.

I would like to simply build a backend platform by using bitcoinj and one of the projects from hyperledger.org, but it is unclear how much bitcoinj covers in terms of the blockchain technology.

If someone can explain about it, I'd appreciated it.

Andreas Schildbach

Apr 8, 2017, 5:49:56 AM4/8/17
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
On 04/08/2017 06:15 AM, Jungwhan Kim wrote:

> I would like to simply build a backend platform by using bitcoinj and one
> of the projects from hyperledger.org, but it is unclear how much bitcoinj
> covers in terms of the blockchain technology.

Bitcoinj is very focused on Bitcoin. Depending on how Bitcoin-like
hyperledger is, bitcoinj might be a good fit or not. Also: Bitcoinj is
also focused on decentralization, and "backend" doesn't sound very
decentralized.

JK

Apr 8, 2017, 10:16:45 AM4/8/17
to bitcoinj
What I meant about the 'backend' here is that I was thinking of using bitcoinj for creating a wallet/sending/receiving bitcoin.

I am trying to use how much bitcoinj can cover the whole blockchain technology. For now, I don't have enough resources in my server, so I am thinking of using bitcoinj for simply creating a wallet/sending/receiving money and sending a transaction to the hyper ledger.  I am not sure if what I am thinking is on the right track.

Please let me know if there is anyone who is both familiar with it.

Thanks.

Jameson Lopp

Apr 8, 2017, 10:21:57 AM4/8/17
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
BitcoinJ isn't compatible with any of the Hyperledger projects to my knowledge. Fabric and Sawtooth Lake, for example, are not Bitcoin-style blockchains - they are new types of distributed ledgers that don't share much in common with Bitcoin and thus BitcoinJ can't interact with them.

caes...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2017, 10:39:48 AM4/8/17
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
If I create a transaction block by using bitcoinj api and send it to the hyperledger, it would be incompatible?   Don't they follow a common spec in terms of transaction and generating public key and private key?

Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "bitcoinj" group.

Jameson Lopp

Apr 8, 2017, 10:47:21 AM4/8/17
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
My understanding is that Hyperledger's Fabric uses a transaction specification called "chaincode" that uses protocol buffers and is completely incompatible with the Bitcoin protocol.

- Jameson

Jungwhan Kim

Apr 8, 2017, 10:58:59 AM4/8/17
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the comment.

How about BitcoinJ? Can i build a whole blockchain technology by using BitcoinJ?  At this point, I am not interested in the bitcoin mining. I just want to build a platform where a consumer/merchant can send/receive money.

Thanks again
From Jungwhan Kim

Jameson Lopp

Apr 8, 2017, 11:13:59 AM4/8/17
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
To build a standalone blockchain you'd need some stable software to implement a full node. I'm not sure that BitcoinJ's full node functionality is suitable for that; I haven't tried using it myself.

Jungwhan Kim

Apr 8, 2017, 11:24:02 AM4/8/17
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
Could you recommend something in order to build a full node?  And what do you mean full node functionality?

Jameson Lopp

Apr 8, 2017, 11:36:27 AM4/8/17
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
Full nodes are what keep a network secure and in consensus by validating the entire set of protocol rules. https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Full_node

A few reputable implementations:

It's no small task to create your own secure blockchain, even if you're basing it off a well-established Bitcoin implementation. It's far too easy to make a small change that opens an exploitable attack vector that drastically reduces the security of your new protocol. Tread carefully...

- Jameson

caes...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2017, 11:39:11 AM4/8/17
to bitc...@googlegroups.com
Really thank you for your input and comments.

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to bitcoinj+u...@googlegroups.com.