Linux Fast Path

Duerbusch, Tom

Jan 10, 2018, 4:43:08 PM1/10/18
I'm having startup problems with LFP.
I think it is related to the batch job not switching from IP to LFP.
No matter what, the batch job using about 14% CPU from the IP stack
so I think it isn't going thru LFP.

Linux thinks it is running:
name      enabled  running  status
----------------------------------
THD       yes      yes      Connected to ZFLSTST5

VSE thinks it's running:
LFPB025I  ACTIVE LFP INSTANCES: 1
    INSTANCE 02 HAS   0 ACTIVE TASKS
LFPB026I  END OF ACTIVE LFP INSTANCES LIST.

The batch job as the following JCL:
// OPTION SYSPARM='02'
// SETPARM LFP$ID=02
// SETPARM EZA$PHA=IJBLFPEZ

This is z/VSE 4.3.1 using the CSI stack.
Linux is SUSE 12 SP 3.
The LPAR is mode=VM.
Both guests are running in the same LPAR with IUCV active.

It is obviously something dumb and stupid that I'm missing.

I don't mind LFP failing, most likely a configuration problem.
But when the batch job doesn't seem like it is trying LFP, that
is problem number one.

Thanks

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Juha Vuori

Jan 10, 2018, 8:30:32 PM1/10/18
CSI networking applications, like FTPBATCH, cannot be routed to LFP. They use the TCPIP stack, no matter what. Maybe that's the lame reason.

--
Juha Vuori

Duerbusch, Tom

Jan 12, 2018, 4:22:43 PM1/12/18
I was right.  It was dumb and stupid.
I was testing with VSE VTAPE.

The changes needed to be in TAPESRVR, not the job using VSE VTAPE.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Juha Vuori

Jan 12, 2018, 5:49:06 PM1/12/18
Good you resolved the problem :)

I'm in the process of replacing VTAPE path from TCPIP to LFP, and savings in CPU cycles are remarkable for bigger tapes. Z/VM VIA is used to implement LFP, but that makes no difference on VSE side..

--
Juha Vuori