COBOL question

Mark Pace

Jul 20, 2015, 4:04:35 PM7/20/15
I haven't worked with COBOL in a number of years.
Was there a change from FCOBOL and COBOL II to COBOL/VSE on how a parameter list is generated for a CALL statement?

It appears the the high order bit is turned on in the last address of the parameter list.  Is this correct?  Was it always this way or is this new with COBOL/VSE and or LE?  Where is this documented?  I didn't find it in the COBOL Programmer's guide or reference.

--
The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent Mainline’s positions or opinions

Mark D Pace
Senior Systems Engineer
Mainline Information Systems

Kevin Corkery

Jul 20, 2015, 4:32:48 PM7/20/15

Mark …

Can’t tell where this occurred exactly but I’ve some vendor code subroutines that specifically turn off the high-order bit in the last parameter since code dating back to the early 1990’s … it’s been around for a while.

… Kevin

Mark Pace

Jul 20, 2015, 4:35:04 PM7/20/15
Oh never mind.  Sometimes I wonder where my brain went to live.  I found that I was handling this condition.  The condition I didn't handle was paying attention to a program that assembled incorrectly and missing it.

Mark Pace

Jul 20, 2015, 4:35:57 PM7/20/15
Thanks, Kevin. Just a blind mistake on my part.

Tony Thigpen

Jul 20, 2015, 5:13:38 PM7/20/15
I see you resolved your issue, but the answer to your question:

As I recall, the high-order bit was documented in the purple FCOBOL
compiler guide. It's been standard linkage since at least the 80's.

Tony Thigpen