SET DATE= in IPL Proc

Stuart, David

Apr 24, 2018, 1:41:19 AM4/24/18

Evening all,

A question about SET DATE= in an IPL proc:  Hints and Tips states that a SET DATE=…,CLOCK=… will cause a recalculation on the TOD Clock.

What I need to know is if that only affects the TOD for the LPAR where it is issued (I hope!), or if it affects the TOD Clock for the entire System?

I have need to issue a SET DATE= in an IPL Proc, in one of the Dev/Test LPARs, and not have it affect the other LPARs, especially Production (no z/VM).

System is a z9 BC (2096).

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Stuart

Principal Info. Systems Support Analyst

County of Ventura

805-662-6731

David....@ventura.org

Kris Buelens

Apr 24, 2018, 3:07:01 AM4/24/18
Just for one LPAR.
Like z/VM, PR/SM uses SIE, and the SIE descriptor block has a field "TOD offset", the delta to apply to the machine clock for the given LPAR (or Virtual Machine if z/VM is the host)

(who would be willing to use LPARs or virtual machines if one guest could change the clock of other guests?)

Kris Buelens,
     --- VM/VSE consultant, Belgium ---