z/VSE Survey Results!!! The Future is Looking Bright for z/VSE as well!!!

Ken McMahon

Jan 16, 2018, 8:35:10 AM1/16/18

First of all, I would like to thank all of those who have not only participated in this survey, but have participated in the many surveys I have put out there over the past several years.

  Far fewer companies have ANY PLANS to move off of the mainframe and a much higher percentage see the move not happening for many years to come.  Most importantly, the numbers are CLEARLY trending in the right direction (for those who happen to like mainframes, anyway!).

 NO PLANS to move off of the mainframe:

2017:  50%

2015:  34%

Change:  Increase of about 50% in TWO YEARS have no plans to move off of the mainframe

 Five Years or More:

2017:  65%

2015:  50%

Change:  Increase by almost 1/3 in TWO YEARS are at least five years from moving off of the mainframe:

 Three Years or More (Still Outside the Start of Any Migration Work!):

2017:  90%

2015:  72%

Change:  9 in 10 plan to stay more than three years compared with only 7 in 10 TWO YEARS ago!

In the area of growth, we have seen some significant changes as well.

Mainframe Use Growing:

2017:  63%

2015:  42%

Change:  50% more folks indicated a growth in MIPS compared to TWO YEARS ago

Mainframe Use Flat or Growing:

2017:  90%

2015:  66%

Change:  Similar 50% more folks seeing growth or at least holding steady on MIPS utilization

Operating System Level:

25% of Customers are either on V6.1/V6.2 or plan on migrating there in 2018 (0% in 2015)

65% of Customers were running V5.1, V5.2, V6.1 or V6.2

35% of Customers were running V4.3, V4.2 or V4.1 (it appears as though some of the V2.x and V3.x Customers have migrated to V4.x+ or Have Migrated off of the Mainframe.

Vendor Satisfaction:

Highest Satisfaction:

2017:  Barnard Software, Thigpen Enterprises, SYNCSORT (ALL with PERFECT SCORES!!!)

 Mid-Level Satisfaction:

2017:  CA, IBM, MacKinney, Macro4, Software Diversified Services

 Lowest Satisfaction:

2017  CSI, Software AG

 NOTE:  Other vendors had minimal responses in 2017 Survey.

 Vendor Satisfaction:

Highest Satisfaction:

2015:  Barnard Software, Thigpen Enterprises, MacKinney

 Mid-Level Satisfaction:

2015:  CSI, IBM, Macro4, Software Diversified Services, SYNCSORT

Lowest Satisfaction:

2015  ASG, CA, Software AG

 NOTE:  Other vendors had minimal responses in 2015 Survey.

Once again, thanks to all!!!

Questions?  Feel free to call or e-mail me.

Ken McMahon

Founder and Director of Sales

z/Transformation Technology Group, LLC
ken.mc...@gmail.com

614-515-9300

Max Singley

Jan 16, 2018, 9:07:05 AM1/16/18
How many participants were there in the survey and how many companies did those participants represent?

Sincerely,

Max E. Singley
Tech Services Project Manager
Alex Lee, Inc.
Jan 19, 2018, 10:13:23 AM1/19/18
Max,
Sorry I missed this question earlier in the week.

Over 20 responses representing a like number of companies.

In addition, the migration results were consistent with what I am personally hearing along with information multiple other z/VSE ISVs are hearing.
Ken