RE: Migration to a VTL

Max Singley

Apr 21, 2016, 3:55:59 PM4/21/16
I don’t know about the NZ support, but Secure Agent’s VTL has been the perfect solution for our VSE shop and the DYNAM-T interface is excellent. One of the best products we’ve ever purchased.

Have fun,

Max E. Singley
Technical Services Project Leader
Alex Lee, Inc.
Email: max.s...@alexlee.com Tel: 828-725-4894
A responsive and reliable production environment doesn't just happen by accident.

From: August Carideo/RYE/US <august....@avon.com>
Date: 22/04/2016 7:21 am (GMT+12:00)
To: VSE Discussion List <vs...@lists.lehigh.edu>
Subject: FW: Migration to a VTL
Who’s VTL ? EMC DLM ?
Augie

From: "Frank M. Ramaekers" <FRama...@ailife.com>
Date: 22/04/2016 12:05 am (GMT+12:00)
To: VSE Discussion List <vs...@lists.lehigh.edu>
You have a tape manager?

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Apr 21, 2016, 4:00:45 PM4/21/16
I will second Max's comments.

Dave

Billy Bingham

Apr 22, 2016, 8:48:46 AM4/22/16
I agree that Secure Agent's SDS solution is a good solution and support
was excellent. I migrated a few client sites to the SDS. All were using
DYNAM/T or on z/OS. This is what I did for the VSE systems:

Define a range of tape VOLSERs in the VTL with a unique Owner ID.

Do a mass change of all the DSNs in the DYNAM/T to the Owner ID above.
This is a manual step.

Run jobs for some time. This will cause all new tapes created to go to
the new VTS volumes.

After jobs have run using the new VTS then you may have to manually copy
remaining VOLSERs to the new VTS. DYNAM/T has a tape copy utility
(TDYNCOPY) that works good. Unfortunately this will change the 'Create
Date' & 'Date Expires' in the DYNAM Catalog and if you want to preserve
this it will be a manual process also, but if you're proficient in REXX
then it can be automated.

At one site we used INFOPAC and it creates multi-file datasets and that
took some extra fiddling to migrate, but again TDYNCOPY was used for that.

We're currently using an IBM VTS and when I migrated our LPARS to it I
basically used the same process. Because the IBM VTS is an ATL there
were a couple extra steps.

Billy

Steve Arnett

Apr 22, 2016, 12:07:50 PM4/22/16
On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 1:55:59 PM UTC-6, Max Singley wrote:
> I don't know about the NZ support, but Secure Agent's VTL has been the perfect solution for our VSE shop and the DYNAM-T interface is excellent. One of the best products we've ever purchased.
>
> Have fun,

With the correct interface controllers, Secure Agent's solution can also be used with iSeries and Open Systems, as well. We tested it successfully with BRMS on OS/400 and TSM on an AIX platform. Both worked with less than one hour of set up each. All three platforms' data co-existed and was mirrored to the offsite hardware.

Ken Bloom

Apr 22, 2016, 12:53:54 PM4/22/16
You might also want to look at visara's vi-5990L
Tape library. Supports all of the tale managers and is high performance.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 22, 2016, at 12:13 PM, Steve Arnett <sar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 1:55:59 PM UTC-6, Max Singley wrote:
>> I don't know about the NZ support, but Secure Agent's VTL has been the pe=
> rfect solution for our VSE shop and the DYNAM-T interface is excellent. One=
> of the best products we've ever purchased.
>> =20
>> Have fun,
>> =20
>
> With the correct interface controllers, Secure Agent's solution can also be=
> used with iSeries and Open Systems, as well. We tested it successfully wi=
> th BRMS on OS/400 and TSM on an AIX platform. Both worked with less than o=
> ne hour of set up each. All three platforms' data co-existed and was mirro=
> red to the offsite hardware.

Andy Engels

Apr 22, 2016, 2:48:59 PM4/22/16
As long as we're naming products, we use Luminex with an HP D2D disk behind it. I think it's FICON attached. 2 Luminex here and one at our DR site along with a duplicate D2D.

Our intent was to replicate the D2Ds but we haven't gotten that far yet. A number of higher priority projects.

The data gets copied to tape from the D2D (it's Solaris under the covers) so it's easy to do a NFS setup and bam -works the same way at both ends. Successfully DR tested several times over the last 4 years....

____________________________________
Andy Engels
IS Team Leader - Technology Infrastructure
IMRF
Oak Brook, IL
630-368-5346

Apr 22, 2016, 3:14:55 PM4/22/16
Thanks for the Info... Not sure what question this string was trying to
answer. Anyway, Using the 5990L, which is stand-alone up to 200TB and 4
FICON channels or the enterprise version (VI-7755) up to 12 PB you can
securely replicate in real time using SSL. If I know what the original
question was Maybe I can answer it.

Ken

Kenneth A. Bloom
Avenir Technologies Inc