RE: setting return code in cobol program

Aubrey Hayes

Aug 16, 2005, 3:43:43 PM8/16/05
What is the $mrc when the $rc is equal to zero?

Aug 16, 2005, 3:40:11 PM8/16/05

JPe...@deltadentalmn.org

Aug 16, 2005, 3:57:11 PM8/16/05

THE BELOW WILL ALLOW A COBOLVSE TO RETURN TO VSE A RETURN CODE OTHER
ZERO BY MOVING A VALUE TO "RETURN-CODE" (Special Register) IN THE
COBOLVSE PROGRAM.

P.S. - IF YOU DO A 'CALL' AFTER SETTING RETURN-CODE, IT WILL BE
WIPED OUT AS COBOLVSE 'CALLS' USE REG 15

// EXEC DDPAT02B,SIZE=AUTO,PARM='/RETZERO(OFF)'
/|\

|----- Start of return code override

Joe Peters
Phone: 651-994-5495
E-mail: jpe...@decare.com

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the
individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication may
contain material that is privileged, confidential and protected from
disclosure under the law. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, distribution, copying, or use of this information is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please reply immediately to the sender and delete it.

<bentleyhohensee@
charter.net>
Sent by: To
owner-vse-l@Lehig "VSE Discussion List"
h.EDU <vs...@Lehigh.EDU>
cc

08/16/2005 01:51 Subject
PM setting return code in cobol
program

Please respond to
vs...@Lehigh.EDU

Any thoughts??

thanks

Bentley

This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using
Skeptic(tm) technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on
MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http://www.mci.com.

This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using Skeptic(tm) technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http://www.mci.com.

JPe...@deltadentalmn.org

bfwd

Aug 16, 2005, 4:47:30 PM8/16/05
The RETURN-CODE special register has the implicit definition:
01 RETURN-CODE GLOBAL PICTURE S9(4) USAGE BINARY VALUE ZERO
(a halfword value)

Here are examples of how to set the RETURN-CODE special register:

COMPUTE RETURN-CODE = 8
or
MOVE 8 to RETURN-CODE.

I suspect you should not use quotes around the literal value.

When used in nested programs, this special register is implicitly
defined in the outermost program.

You can specify the RETURN-CODE special register in a function wherever
an integer argument is allowed.

The RETURN-CODE special register will not contain return code
information from a service call for a Language Environment callable
service. For more information, see the COBOL/VSE Programming Guide and
LE/VSE Programming Guide.