Performance of a native LPAR under VSE

Martin Truebner

Jun 19, 2017, 7:18:43 AM6/19/17
If you are into performance and always asked yourself- why do certain
things only exist in "the other op-sys".

here is some relief for the counters introduced with the z10 and always
improved by IBM with every new generation as documented in
SA23-2261-03.

To retrieve the counters (any- as long as you could name it) I have a
program.

It is free.

Just give me a holler and ask for PICO.

ATTENTION: the counters are only available if not under VM. otherwise
the guest will have a "operation exception"

Martin Trübner; everything around "PoOps of z/arch"

Tony Thigpen

Jun 19, 2017, 8:41:48 AM6/19/17
Lately, I have been asking "why is the other op-sys so dumb?".

When using either the CNTRL macro or the PRTOV macro, if running under
JES2, the action is just ignored. No error message, no nothing, just
ignored. If POWER can emulate it, then why not JES2? DUMB!

So, any assembler program being migrated has to have line counting code
added. And code to actually write blank lines with the correct control
character for skips and such. I can just see the JES2 programmers
laughing and saying: "Why should we support CNTRL and PRTOV, it's not
our problem."

Tony Thigpen

Frank M. Ramaekers

Jun 19, 2017, 9:25:59 AM6/19/17
Okay, there hasn't been any maintenance applied to the system since the z/VSE 5.2 upgrade on March 19th 2017.

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.
_____________________________________________________<br>
This message contains information which is privileged and confidential and is solely for the use of the<br>
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure,<br>
copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have<br>
received this in error, please destroy it immediately and notify us at Priva...@torchmarkcorp.com.

Gustavo Torres

Jun 19, 2017, 9:48:59 AM6/19/17
Many years ago I saw at the IBM offices a poster where appeared the images of Superman and King Kong and a text that said; DOS/VS, small but smighty, Guess who represented the other op-sys ;)

Gustavo Torres

Jun 19, 2017, 9:55:42 AM6/19/17
Sorry i meant mighty (finger check)

Mick Poil

Jun 19, 2017, 10:10:50 AM6/19/17
Thank you Martin. I think that VM can work with CPU MF data as well as z/OS. Mike

Martin Truebner

Jun 19, 2017, 11:12:18 AM6/19/17
Mike,

>> I think that VM can work with CPU MF data as well as
z/OS.

Yea- CP might be able to retrieve the counters as well.... but not any
guest.

Not until CP developer actually get that magical round toit.

I could live a long time with numbers (not the sampling-data) being
reduced by the percentage of number of CPU-seconds vs wall-seconds.
That way the numbers might not be exact- but at least one could get an
idea.

But who am I.

Martin

Martin Truebner

Jun 19, 2017, 11:17:55 AM6/19/17
Frank,

>> Okay, there hasn't been any maintenance applied to the system since
>> the z/VSE 5.2 upgrade on March 19th 2017.

The code would run on anything that runs native on a z10 (or above)

Was that the question?

I do not handle the CPU_DOES_NOT_SUPPORT-THIS_COUNTER case. (maybe
next version).

Martin