3592 Tape sizes

E J Carney

Apr 7, 2015, 10:59:59 AM4/7/15

Hi listers,

                We are about to take possession of some 3592 TS1130 (Gen3) tape drives to replace an aging group of 3590s. All tape sizes specified will be native capacity. The JA tape has a capacity of 640 GB and the JB has a capacity of 1000 GB. Does anyone have any experiences or preferences with these tapes?

With our old 3590 drives, to fill a 60 GB native tape with data would take about 2 hours using a 2 Gigabit Ficon connection. Our Controller for the 3592 will be 4 Gigabit Ficon connection.  Has anyone filled a JA or JB tape and have a feeling for the amount of time it takes to do so?

TIA,

E J

Geir Erland Fladby

Apr 8, 2015, 4:55:13 AM4/8/15

We have this setup and use JA tapes.

At the moment I'm on vacation and have not the details in my head, but I would say as usual: It all depends.

As far as I can remember there is also some cash to take into account.

We also had 3590 before and for small backups you don't win as much, but for larger stuff we up to halved the time.

Apr 8, 2015, 3:09:32 PM4/8/15

I don’t have the number available but we had the 3590s then went to the 3592s (TS1120) and saw some performance improvement. I know we have the 60 GB 3590s and I think we decided on the JA as the replacements. Do to the way we backup our data we never filled up a 60 GB so it didn’t matter to us about the tape capacity.

NOTICE:
This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by replying to the original message at the listed email address. Thank You.

Duerbusch, Tom

Apr 8, 2015, 3:54:47 PM4/8/15
One of the things that might help with using some of the extra tape capacity is in z/VSE 5.2, IBM has VSE Virtual Tape on Physical tape.  Requires a 3592 or better drive.

I don't know if Dynam or EPIC are supporting that function (yet).

But it can allow you to make better use of the, rather expensive, cartridges.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting