Problem Defining VSAM Cluster under zVSE 4.1.2

Louis Callari

Aug 28, 2008, 3:55:30 PM8/28/08
I just encounted a problem defining a VSAM cluster when the first volid in the Volumes statement is full.
I tried the same define statement in my VSE/ESA 2.3 system and it works fine.

I don't know if this is a new "feature of VSAM" or a defect.

Anyway here is the out put from my zVSE 4.1.2 system.
Pack RDR004 is full, but packs RDR005 and LCS202 are empty, the cluster is trying to allocate 100 cylinders.
Shouldn't VSAM just allocate the space on RDR005 or LCS202?

>>> VOLUMES( RDR004 RDR005 LCS202 ) -
CISZ(8192) -
ORDERED -
) /* END OF INDEX */ -
>>> CAT(ZVSE.TEST.CATALOG.ONE )
IDC0508I DATA ALLOCATION STATUS FOR VOLUME RDR004 IS 156
IDC3025I INSUFFICIENT SUBALLOCATION DATA SPACE
IDC3009I ** VSAM CATALOG RETURN CODE IS 156 - REASON CODE IS IGG0CLAU-
IDC3003I FUNCTION TERMINATED. CONDITION CODE IS 12

Kevin Corkery

Aug 28, 2008, 4:02:17 PM8/28/08
I think the "ORDERED" parameter may be what's causing your problem.

"ORDERED|UNORDERED specifies whether volumes are to be used in the order in
which they were listed in the VOLUMES parameter. If KEYRANGES is also
specified, all of the records within the range specified by the first
low-key/high-key pair are placed on the first volume specified in VOLUMES;
all of the records within the second range are placed on the second volume;
etc. If it is impossible to allocate volumes in the given order and ORDERED
is specified, DEFINE processing is terminated."

I suspect that the reason this may work in an older release is that it
wasn't working according to specifications and now it's "fixed" to perform
as above. Try taking the ORDERED parameter out.

Edward M. Martin

Aug 28, 2008, 4:04:02 PM8/28/08
Hello Louis,

You have ordered on your define. You must find enough room on RDR004
to get the primary allocation within 5 extents.

If you need 2000 cylinders (Primary), any combination that equals 2000
will work.

It would seem that RDR004 is full.

Ed Martin
Aultman Health Foundation
330-588-4723
ext 40441

> I think the "ORDERED" parameter may be what's causing your problem.
>
> "ORDERED|UNORDERED specifies whether volumes are to be used in the order in
> which they were listed in the VOLUMES parameter. If KEYRANGES is also
> specified, all of the records within the range specified by the first
> low-key/high-key pair are placed on the first volume specified in VOLUMES;
> all of the records within the second range are placed on the second volume;
> etc. If it is impossible to allocate volumes in the given order and ORDERED
> is specified, DEFINE processing is terminated."
>
> I suspect that the reason this may work in an older release is that it
> wasn't working according to specifications and now it's "fixed" to perform
> as above. Try taking the ORDERED parameter out.

Louis Callari

Aug 29, 2008, 3:59:08 PM8/29/08
I reran the the define without the ORDERED parameter and everything worked fine.
So IBM fixed the VSAM Define hole that I've been slipping through for all theses years.

Thanks for your help.

Louie

ran....@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2016, 8:14:23 AM4/17/16
hi
had this problem and got to this forum using google
would like to take the time and thank you for this solution
in my case, it solved the problem
thanks