FileAid for zVSE

Shawn Legrand

Oct 19, 2017, 5:33:48 PM10/19/17

We have COBOL programmers that struggle with zVSE at times, as they come from zOS shops (or MVS) and they enjoy certain tools for their work. Most of the time I can direct them to equivalence on zVSE for what they are looking for…

In the case of File-Aid they were hoping for a facility that can authomagically connect a copy book to a file listing and display the combined results. Obviously, I could write a program to do that, but I was wondering if there was any equivalent product on zVSE like File-Aid on zOS?

It appears they all seem to enjoy the above feature and more that File-Aid provides them… Don’t want to reinvent the wheel... ;)

Shawn L.

Systems Programmer

ICW Group

Herczeg, Zoltan

Oct 23, 2017, 3:57:15 PM10/23/17

We have a product from MacKinney systems software called budds CICS user file display system. It displays the file showing the fields with cobol copy book names. The programmers love it.

Thanks

Zoltan

Shawn Legrand

Oct 23, 2017, 5:35:40 PM10/23/17

Thanks Zoltan and David for the info.

I assume with the MacKinney product, the file has to be available on a CICS? Can it run on a CICS/VSE as opposed to a CICS/TS?

They still have macro code here, but I could always add the files to our CICS/TS partition if necessary.

Herczeg, Zoltan

Oct 24, 2017, 9:27:45 AM10/24/17

We run it on cics 2.3 and cics/ts. Here is a snippet taken from the user guide.

1.1 What is BUDDS?

The Bits User Data Display System or BUDDS is used to find, display and modify records in files that are

defined in a CICS system as either local or remote. Records may be accessed from VSAM, DAM and ISAM

files.

Authorization to access to records in files may be controlled either by an existing External Security Manager

or using the internal BUDDS file access permissions facilities (refer to the System Administrator's Guide).

Call them for a trial. I don’t know if you have any products from MacKinney but they provide good support at affordable prices.

Thanks

Zoltan

I assume with the MacKinney product, the file has to be available on a CICS? Can it run on a CICS/VSE as opposed to a CICS/TS?

They still have macro code here, but I could always add the files to our CICS/TS partition if necessary.

We have a product from MacKinney systems software called budds CICS user file display system. It displays the file showing the fields with cobol copy book names. The programmers love it.

Thanks

Zoltan

Shawn Legrand

Oct 24, 2017, 1:33:18 PM10/24/17