Applying PTF service

Adams, Michael , IT

Apr 6, 2018, 1:59:00 PM4/6/18

Hello List!

Question:  Is there a requirement that anyone is aware of that PTF service must be applied via the IJSYSPF file in the VSESPUC on DOSRES and SYSWK1?

I am attempting to apply an RSL that is VERY large.  In the course of this I created a new IJSYSPF in a separate User Cat that had more free space than my VSESPUC.   I then used the “Installation” panels in ICCF to install IBM service, altered the jobs to access my new UCAT and applied the PTFs.  Everything seemed to work fine, however, when I IPLed to SYSWK1 to run the DTRMRG process I received a catastrophic IPL failure on the SYSWK1 volume.  This process has always worked without issue so I am confused as to the cause.

So, is having the IJSYSPF file in the VSEPSUC required?  Should I just expand the VSESPUC by adding another volume for secondary extents?

Any help is appreciated!  Thank you.

Michael T. Adams
MF Hardware Services

zSeries Platform Support

816-605-7468 w

816-510-6519 c

Mainframe Hardware/ Storage/ VM SRM Remedy form

Need help filling out our SRM form?   Click here

Kevin Corkery

Apr 6, 2018, 2:10:13 PM4/6/18

I use the VSE VTAPE feature to apply maintenance.  It’s documented on the zVSE website.  Don’t need to worry about the size of the IJSYSPF file for RSL type installs.  If you want to keep using the IJSYSPF method I suggest that you increase the size of the VSESPUC (there’s usually a good deal of free space on both DOESRES and SYSWK1 to do this).  USECLASS can be helpful in defining a space that’s isolated from the general allocation requests.

Frank M. Ramaekers

Apr 6, 2018, 2:35:47 PM4/6/18

Yes, I do this (point the system standard labels of IJSYSPF to a different user catalog) when the PTF/RSL file is quite large.  It doesn’t have to be in VSESPUC either, it’s just a holding area for the fixes.

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Apr 6, 2018, 3:00:36 PM4/6/18

I don’t mess with reallocating VSESPUC space or moving IJSYSPF to another catalog. I just put it on a sequential disk.

JCL to change IJSYSPF location.

// OPTION STDLABEL=DELETE

IJSYSPF

/*

// OPTION STDLABEL=ADD

// DLBL IJSYSPF,’PTF.FILE.RSL. … ‘,99,SD

// EXTENT SYS028,DISKID,1,0,15,6000

/*

Then in the ADDTAPE and APPLYPTF job streams locate the DLBL IJSYSPF for the VSAM file and comment it out.

// JOB DTRPTF03

. . .

/* DLBL IJSYSPF,’PTF.FILE’,,VSAM,CAT=VSESPUC

Steve

Steve Mondy
Sr. Systems Administrator

Open Solutions Division

Fiserv
Office:    713-965-8457
Mobile:   281-409-2870

Fax:        281-334-2642
www.fiserv.com

FORTUNE Magazine World's Most Admired Companies® 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018
Facebook: Like Fiserv  ·  Twitter: Follow @Fiserv  ·  LinkedIn: Connect Fiserv  ·  Careers: Join Fiserv

Mick Poil

Apr 7, 2018, 9:04:26 AM4/7/18
The answer to this comes down to understanding when IJSYSPF is used. It is the PTF input file used during MSHP INSTALL SERVICE SD FROMDISK. So it doesn't matter how it is defined so long as MSHP can read it at that time.

MSHP is not difficult to understand. Aside from clever internal requisite processing, it is an automated way to run LNKEDT and LIBR to apply the new parts based an RESIDENCE sublibrary information in whatever IJSYSHF MSHP has access to at that time, although it has a bit of trickery to reduce compromising the live IJSYSRS.SYSLIB that is very necessary. I used to teach MSHP when I worked at WDR Ltd, and I showed the folks that by reading parts of System Control Statement and System Upgrade and Service plus looking at the PTF installation job SYSLST outputs, you knew exactly what went on and why. When I first started supporting VSE/AF 2 I found that understanding what was going on with the generated JCL was a requirement when either it or I fouled up, and it wasn't difficult. The IUI JCL is designed to be as idiot-proof as possible, but it makes the process look way more complex than it is. In fact, apart from handling IUI PTFs, there is nothing that can't be done in a lot simpler way yourself.

The building of IJSYSR1 should be bullet-proof, so without knowing why the IPL failed, I don't understand it could have gone so badly wrong.

Mike

Victor, C. T. Hsiao

Apr 15, 2018, 12:06:51 AM4/15/18
The bootstrap record in the SYSWK1 is created in DTRPTF04 job using IJBREPB, which requires SYS005 to be ASSGN to SYSWK1 and several phases to be put in PRD1.$$MSHP when running.   Just a reminder to check this.

Victor Hsiao.

Best Regards,
Victor Hsiao 蕭正德

E-mail: cthsi...@gmail.com