Macro Level CICS

fum00A

Jan 7, 2017, 5:04:09 PM1/7/17
Question - any idea as to how many people still use Macro Level CICS? Even better, Macro Level Assembler CICS?

Mick Poil

Jan 9, 2017, 7:03:17 AM1/9/17
z/VSE 4.2 is the last release to fully support CICS/VSE 2.3 and that is the last release IBM recommends that you use. z/VSE 4.3 does not allow DL/I to be used with CICS/VSE, and VSAM I/O may slow CICS/VSE down noticeably.

Mike

Lou Winston

Jan 9, 2017, 9:21:18 AM1/9/17

There is a product from Mackinney Software, MLI, that serves as an bridge between macro level calls and command level.

What I was wondering here is, how many people out there can actually support systems written in CICS MACRO level assembler.

L.W.

Jan 9, 2017, 9:47:56 AM1/9/17

We could but we have not used Macro level in a long time. Assembler no problem.

Dennis McLoud

Systronics

Andy Engels

Jan 9, 2017, 11:18:54 AM1/9/17

I learned CICS programming 35 years ago and never, ever, used macro.  Wasn’t it dropped after 1.5 or something?   I know we covered it in CICS Internals (that I took in 1985) but it was only informational.  Interesting…  I guess if it works….

____________________________________

Andy Engels
IS Team Leader – Technology Infrastructure
IMRF
Oak Brook, IL
630-368-5346

Allan Peterson

Jan 9, 2017, 2:44:35 PM1/9/17

The macro level Cobol & Assembler is one of the issues the migration has to face especially when most of the macros/copybooks we could not hand over.

Noting the DMS CICS 1.4 s itself macro level and at least it supports Command Level exits. I did have issues with MLI when we looked at it.

Julian Wall

Jan 9, 2017, 5:04:13 PM1/9/17
The Shop I'm at changed all the macro level programs to command level about 18 months ago, wasnt to bad of a ordeal, They were all assembler as this shop doesnt even have a cobol compiler, RPGII for bach and  ALC and CPG for cics

Julian Wall...

Lou Winston wrote:

No virus found in this message.

aubrey isbco.com

Jan 9, 2017, 5:13:08 PM1/9/17
Julian: Send me offline your email address

Aubrey Hayes
aub...@isbco.com