Printing using TCPIP/VSE

Ernie J. Carney

Sep 30, 2015, 3:42:50 PM9/30/15

Listers,

                We have been printing to an HP LaserJet 9000 type printer with a 3000 sheet stacker/stapler for the last 12 years or so using TCPIP/VSE. This equipment is getting a bit long in the tooth. I wrote the UCS source of PCL 5 commands and assembled into phases to make all this work. Many of the new printers I have looked at only support PCL 6 which is as different as night and day compared to PCL 5. Anyone else printing using TCPIP/VSE to a laser printer? Anyone doing it with PCL 6 (I am guessing not)? If so anyone want to share their technique for doing so? I would be happy to share all my information on the PCL 5 I wrote.

Thanks,

Ernie

Jeffrey Barnard

Sep 30, 2015, 7:41:09 PM9/30/15
Ernie,

I don't think you should have a problem.

The HP web site states ...

PCL 6 features

PCL 6 is the latest evolution of the Hewlett-Packard PCL language and
related technologies. PCL 6 has three key components.

The first component, referred to as PCL 6 Enhanced has been optimized for
printing from graphical user interfaces (GUIs) like Microsoft Windows and OS/2.

The second component referred to as PCL 6 Standard provides complete
backward compatibility with past HP LaserJet printers.

So, PCL 6 has complete backward compatibility with past HP printers. Which
suggests that the PCL 5 you are sending to your new HP printer will work
just fine.

Have fun!

Regards,
Jeff