Re: Moving a compiler running in a VSE to VM/CMS

W Mainframe via VSE-L

May 31, 2017, 8:47:59 AM5/31/17
I've thought about that.. but.. There are no object modules.. Only phases modules. :(

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 9:16 AM, Kris Buelens <kris.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

The CMS/DOS environment is very very old, and it never learned to read the "new" VSE Libraries.
Can't you recompile in VM?

Kris Buelens,
     --- VM/VSE consultant, Belgium ---

Hello Guys

Is there a way to move some VSE Phases modules to CMS? Maybe reloading it and recreating new modules in CMS? I have done with object modules. I  know about FETCH process, but it does not work for me.

Any clue?

Thanks

Martin Truebner

May 31, 2017, 10:28:41 AM5/31/17
Didi,

if the compiler does not do any new VSE specific stuff (i.e. LOAD,
GET PUT OPEN is okay) it might be possible to run it on CMS DOS.

the PHASE from VSE PUNCH is identical to what the LINKEDIT needs as
input on CMS. A Phase punched will not have any externals (they were
resolved at LNKEDT time in VSE) - so ...

Have fun

Martin

Kris Buelens

May 31, 2017, 2:48:34 PM5/31/17
Ages ago...  But indeed: punch the phase from VSE and import it in VM, something I more than 25 years ago.  There you use DOSLKED to relink it into a DOSLIB.
The CMS User's Guide has a phrase I don't fully understand (or, maybe it simply tells something t related to CMSDOS, but just the fact that 370-mode virtual machine no longer exist)
The CMS/DOS environment does not support System/370(370 mode)
applications. You will need to use the CP 370 Accommodation Facility to
execute 370 applications in this environment.

Makes me think you could also try with SET 370ACCOM ON.  But that mainly helps applications that do special things (like handling interrupts).

What happens if you try to run the application?

Kris Buelens,
     --- VM/VSE consultant, Belgium ---

Tony Thigpen

Jun 1, 2017, 1:22:24 PM6/1/17
That reminds me.

Back about 1998, I punched the CICS translator from VSE and relinked it
on VM. Since our source was on VM, we would use the re-linked phase on
VM to translate the program on VM then send the output to the Cobol
compiler running on VSE. And, I do remember having to use the 370
accommodation facility for it.

Tony Thigpen

Kris Buelens wrote on 05/31/2017 02:48 PM:
> Ages ago... But indeed: punch the phase from VSE and import it in VM,
> something I more than 25 years ago. There you use DOSLKED to relink it
> into a DOSLIB.
> The CMS User's Guide has a phrase I don't fully understand (or, maybe it
> simply tells something t related to CMSDOS, but just the fact that
> 370-mode virtual machine no longer exist)
> /The CMS/DOS environment does not support System/370™ (370 mode)
> applications. You will need to use the CP 370 Accommodation Facility to
> execute 370 applications in this environment.
> /
> Makes me think you could also try with SET 370ACCOM ON. But that mainly
> helps applications that do special things (like handling interrupts).
>
> What happens if you try to run the application?
>

> Kris Buelens,
> --- VM/VSE consultant, Belgium ---

> <mailto:mar...@pi-sysprog.de>>:
>
> Didi,
>
> if the compiler does not do any new VSE specific stuff (i.e. LOAD,
> GET PUT OPEN is okay) it might be possible to run it on CMS DOS.
>
> the PHASE from VSE PUNCH is identical to what the LINKEDIT needs as
> input on CMS. A Phase punched will not have any externals (they were
> resolved at LNKEDT time in VSE) - so ...
>
> Have fun
>
> Martin

W Mainframe via VSE-L

Jun 1, 2017, 2:35:52 PM6/1/17
Cool
I am trying to do that from A VS COBOL II compiler running in a VSE/ESA 1.1 (370 feat) to VMSP rel5. Both are running in my P370.... "Just killing a lion everyday"... lol