SCSI and SSD performance

michael...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2016, 9:03:36 AM6/20/16
I would be interested in knowing if any of you have data on the "typical" dasd service times for SCSI I/O compared to standard 3390. I realise that there are many dasd subsystem types that will perform differently, I am just interested a rough comparison based on what you saw.

Do any of you have 3390s on SSD, and if so, how fast they are?

Thanks.

Mike

Ken Bloom

Jun 20, 2016, 9:10:54 AM6/20/16
Mike

DASD 3390's using SSD are quite fast. A lot of it depends on the raid configuration. However a single drive will support a transfer rate of 550MBps. What you will find is that the limitation is not in drive array, but in the channel interface. Most SSD arrays for DASD utilize raid 10, so depending on the number of drives you stripe across will impact the performance.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 20, 2016, at 9:06 AM, "michael...@gmail.com" <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would be interested in knowing if any of you have data on the "typical" d=
> asd service times for SCSI I/O compared to standard 3390. I realise that th=
> ere are many dasd subsystem types that will perform differently, I am just =
> interested a rough comparison based on what you saw.=20
>
> Do any of you have 3390s on SSD, and if so, how fast they are?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike

Gustavo Torres

Mick Poil