MQ on VSE

Robert Johnston via VSE-L

Aug 7, 2016, 8:10:53 PM8/7/16
A while back, VSE dropped support on the MQ product (not client).  They did not give us near enough notice to give us a chance to replace our entire (IBM Recommended) middle layer. We are still running MQ without issues so far. Does anyone have any idea of whether IBM has tested mq on VSE 6.1 and cics transaction server v2.1?  It would not surprise me if they have not, however we are just attempting to weigh our risk an options.

Thanks everyone,

Mick Poil

Aug 8, 2016, 5:33:44 AM8/8/16
Robert,

I am not sure how much the standard MQ was tested in CICS TS 2.1. However, from what I have seen, MQ is just a large CICS application that it written in C and uses standard VSAM files. I am not aware of it requiring any "special" interfaces within CICS, VSE and TCP/IP. Therefore, there is no reason that I know of why it would not work.

Apart from Channels and Containers and some other enhancements, and ignoring the significant CICS Explorer enhancements, CICS 2.1 is very similar to CICS 1.1.1.

Mike (IBM Hursley)

Robert Johnston via VSE-L

Aug 8, 2016, 6:07:56 AM8/8/16
Thanks Mick, I was thinking along the same lines.  Hoping that this will work out and mq will still work under the new releases.

.