Re: Sequence of power down & up.

Ron Schmiedge

Aug 4, 2015, 2:52:46 PM8/4/15
We used to have a Shark (2015) that powered off from the external switch.
We now have a DS8300, and the power off is done with panels on the DS8300 HMC.
I don't know about the DS6800, but I would suspect it is more like a
DS8300 than a Shark - ie, done from the HMC.
We used our IBM hardware support guy to help figure this out.

On 8/3/15, Mohammed Imam <mi...@co.cumberland.nc.us> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Thanks for your quick response. That's what I thought at the top level.
>
> So, when you power down the processor (zBC12), the storage(DS6800) remains
> up with power until it is not explicitly powered down.
> In the reverse process the storage (DS6800) needs to be powered up and wait
> until there is not any amber or blinking lights before the server (zbc12) is
> powered up.
>
> Right?
>
> Thanks,
> Mohammed Imam
> [cid:image0...@01D072DB.693994D0]

Mohammed Imam

Aug 4, 2015, 4:45:48 PM8/4/15
DS6800 has a POWER button on the rear operator panel, that can be used. I am not sure about any option through HMC.

I was wondering if DS6800 would continue having POWER, once the zBC12 processor is physically POWERed off?
And during reverse process the DS6800 has to be POWERed ON prior to turning the zBC12 processor.

So, once all the LPARs are brought down, should the HMC be POWERed off first and then the zBC12 processor or vice versa?

Thanks,
Mohammed Imam