SCRT replacement

Dennis McLoud

Oct 11, 2016, 4:48:03 PM10/11/16

Just noticed this about future SCRT versions:

. IBM also announces that the Classic Version deliverables of SCRT will no longer be supported after October 2017. Customers currently using an SCRT Classic Version deliverable should begin planning their migration to one of the Java Version deliverables prior to October 2017. z/VSE customers without z/OS will have the choice of the Windows or Linux deliverables.

This is the dumbest thing I have seen for some time. VSE has a simple method of creating the file for upload to IBM.  Now we have to FTP the data to a PC so it can produce the file. Now it is a very manual process.  Not to mention requiring PC Java.  One of the first things every security consultant recommends removing from every PC.

Dennis McLoud

Systronics

Stuart, David

Oct 11, 2016, 4:52:50 PM10/11/16

I *knew* I kept that linux system on that LPAR for a reason…

Dennis, I agree 100%.

Ah, well, it will give me something to play with for a few hours…

Dave

Dave Stuart

Principal Information Systems Support Analyst

Information Technology Services

County of Ventura, CA

805-662-6731

David....@ventura.org

Martin Truebner

Oct 12, 2016, 2:09:03 AM10/12/16
>> I *knew* I kept that linux system on that LPAR for a reason...

You do assume that they do support running it on "Linux for z".

the mentioning of Windows and Linux in the same sentence makes me
suspicious.

I would check.

Martin

Mick Poil

Oct 12, 2016, 3:02:18 AM10/12/16

Couldn't do my day job without Java in the background, so many products I have use it. I can only use IBM's Java runtime (no surprise there).

Juha Vuori

Oct 12, 2016, 3:21:38 AM10/12/16
Hi

On 11.10.2016 23:47, Dennis McLoud wrote:
> This is the dumbest thing I have seen for some time. VSE has a simple method of creating the file
> for upload to IBM. Now we have to FTP the data to a PC so it can produce the file. Now it is a
> very manual process. Not to mention requiring PC Java. One of the first things every security
> consultant recommends removing from every PC.

I agree on that getting from automatised report generation to manual GUI wizard generation is a bad
thing. Not that it takes more than a couple of minutes work, but in principle..
There should be a batch interface to the java application, but according to the doc, there isn't.

On 12.10.2016 09:08, Martin Truebner wrote:
>>> I *knew* I kept that linux system on that LPAR for a reason...
> You do assume that they do support running it on "Linux for z".
>
> the mentioning of Windows and Linux in the same sentence makes me
> suspicious.

Seems that zLinux is the only linux supported.
I'll stick to it, who needs any more Windows cycles in the world :)
It's kind of fun running GUI applications on zLinux with Xming windowing client..

Regards,
Juha Vuori

Juha Vuori

Oct 12, 2016, 8:22:33 AM10/12/16
Well, I tested report generation with the new version 24.01 of VSE SCRTTOOL, and it used 577 sec of
CPU cycles out of our CP M01 in zBC12.
Year's SCRT89 records for five VSE guest, around 85 MB input data.
What a CPU hog - are those SCRT89 records both encrypted and compressed, or what?
Something good about externalizing report generation.
We are quite near to the processings of quantum mechanics: measurement changes the measured object..
:-)

Regards,
Juha

Max Singley

Oct 12, 2016, 8:46:55 AM10/12/16
You don't have to wonder why the Z/VSE base is shrinking when IBM won't even run SCRT under it. Pretty sad move in my estimation. What exactly is wrong with running VSE SCRT under Z/VSE?

have fun,
Max

Leap and the net will appear!

Lou Winston

Oct 12, 2016, 8:50:43 AM10/12/16

And then we wonder why the guys in the corner office continue to  pull the plug on our VSE systems.  It's bull---t like this!

First we convince them that we really need VM because VSE doesn't do this well and doesn't do that well and now we have to convince them that we have to install z/LINUX because VSE doesn't do this anymore and that anymore.

That certainly wouldn't give me a good sense of security when considering hosting major software systems on a VSE platform.

L.W.

P.S. Ken McMahon, does this give you any ideas about your z/transformation group?

Oct 12, 2016, 8:51:15 AM10/12/16

Well put Max.

L.W.

Oct 12, 2016, 10:33:34 AM10/12/16
I took a quick glance at the book (not a detailed reading, you understand), and I believe it will. I need to do more reading, though.

Dave

Oct 12, 2016, 10:35:24 AM10/12/16
I have the whole process automated to where it even sends it to IBM. Then all I have to do is sign in and review it.

Well, we still have a year to (hopefully) change their minds.

Dave

Oct 12, 2016, 10:43:58 AM10/12/16
Yep, our whole process is automated. All I get are the confirmations coming back from them.
One has to wonder what the reasoning in doing this is.

Mike Moore
IT Manager
Alabama Judicial Datacenter
300 Dexter Avenue
Montgomery, Alabama 36104
334-954-5025

"This is the final test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him." - William Lyon Phelps

Terry Ambrosius

Oct 12, 2016, 2:12:16 PM10/12/16
Hi All,

Does anybody use the Windows  deliverable and have it working?   Getting an error when trying to pull in a .scrt89 file into the Windows app.
Error "No data accepted from the input file(s).  Select different input and try again.
FTP was clean, used bin and 'quote mode B" as documented.
Using the CMTREPO file out of the extract process:
// DLBL IJCMTC1,'CMT.SCRT89.DATA.FILE1',99/366,SD
// EXTENT SYS054
// DLBL IJCMTC2,'CMT.SCRT89.DATA.FILE2',99/366,SD
// EXTENT SYS054
// ASSGN SYS054,DISK,VOL=SYSWK4,SHR
// DLBL CMTREPO,'LPAR2.SCRT89.EXTRACT',,VSAM,CAT=USRCATA
// EXEC IJBCMTRP
MONTH = LAST
OUTPUTDS = DD:CMTREPO
---------------
TCPIP knows the file as
DEFINE FILE,PUBLIC='CMTREPO',DLBL=CMTREPO,TYPE=ESDS, -
       RECFM=V,LRECL=32756

Thanks
Terry

 z/VSE customers without z/OS will have the choice of the Windows or Linux deliverables.

Dennis McLoud

Oct 12, 2016, 5:47:53 PM10/12/16
-- I have the whole process automated to where it even sends it to IBM.

Amen, mine is that way also.

I am so tired of the PC folks that think manual pointing and clicking is
better than automation. "We have a great web site for that!" Nope, call me
when you have an FTP site for that.

Dennis McLoud