Deleting VTL tapes (IBM TS7700)

tony.p...@xchanging.com

May 25, 2018, 6:47:00 AM5/25/18

I have an old range of VTL tapes defined in my IBM TS7700, I want to delete these so changed the category for these to INSERT FF00, however the delete using the GUI fails.

It seems that as the tapes have been used they need to be in EJECT category FF10, but I have been unable to change the category to FF10.

Using z/VM I am unable to change the category to FF10 or to EJECT

11:22:42 * MSG FROM RMSMASTR: FSMBAD2003E Request cancelled because the
subsystem is functionally incompatible; request identifier = 1621242

Anybody know how I can delete this range of old VTL tapes?

Thanks

Tony

Eliseo Bertolín Navarro

May 28, 2018, 5:04:59 AM5/28/18
Hi, Toni.

My TS7700 is under native VSE.
 To delete virtual tapes, I first created via GUI a scratch category with 1 hour expiration time and "no hold", in may case, SCRATCH15 = X'00AF' (see "Appendix F. Library Manager volume categories" from redbook  "IBM TS7700 Virtualization Engine with R3.2").

Then i execute under VSE these two commands.

LIBSERV SETVCAT,VOL=T00XXX,TGTCAT=SCRATCH15
LIBSERV SETVCAT,VOL=T00XXX,TGTCAT=EJECT

And virtual volume T00XXX gets deleted from the TS7700.

Best regards.
Eliseo Bertolin
VM/VSE System programmer
Barcelona - Spain

tony.p...@xchanging.com

May 29, 2018, 6:27:26 AM5/29/18
Hi Eliseo,

Thanks for the comments, just tried that and it worked fine.

Tony