z/VSE V4.2 Under z/VM V6.4

Mondy, Stephen , US - Texas

Oct 6, 2017, 11:55:17 AM10/6/17

Is anyone running or planning to run z/VSE V4.2 under z/VM V6.4? Over the next six months we will be upgrading the z9BC & z/VM V5.4 to a z13s & z/VM V6.4. We may have a client that will still be on z/VSE V4.2. I know the IBM line, “unsupported environments are always at the user's risk”.  I am just hoping that I am not the only one to try this configuration.

Steve

Steve Mondy
Sr. Systems Administrator

Open Solutions Division

Fiserv
Office:    713-965-8457
Mobile:   281-409-2870

Fax:        281-334-2642
www.fiserv.com

FORTUNE Magazine World's Most Admired Companies® 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017
Facebook: Like Fiserv  ·  Twitter: Follow @Fiserv  ·  LinkedIn: Connect Fiserv  ·  Careers: Join Fiserv

Duerbusch, Tom

Oct 6, 2017, 12:01:33 PM10/6/17
Under a z13s with z/VM 6.4, I'm running:

z/VSE 4.3.1
VSE/ESA 2.7.2
VSE/ESA 2.3.2

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

John Imholte

Oct 6, 2017, 12:52:10 PM10/6/17
zBC12

Runnig

zVM 6.3
zVSE 4.4

Sincerely,

John Imholte

Mick Poil

Oct 6, 2017, 12:57:34 PM10/6/17
z/VM 6.4  EC12 soon with 4.2. Nobody has flagged an issue yet. Mike

Avihu Gershoni

Oct 9, 2017, 4:28:51 AM10/9/17

We are running z/VSE 5.2 under z/VM 6.4, so I could not vouch for z/VSE 4.2, but I use this post to issue a warning to all those who are about to migrate to z/VM 6.4.

We discovered two bugs with this version.

The first one is with PIPE and was solved by PTF UM35183.

The second one is much more serious.

If there is both a LCS OSA card (OSE) and QDIO OSA card (OSD) then TCPIP virtual machine might enter a CPU loop in CP.

Unfortunately it was discovered only after we moved to production, and it is the first time ever that I had to fall back to my previous VM version.

We got a bypass from IBM, and moved to production with it a month ago. So far no other problems.

Last week we got a fix for the problem and we are planning to move it production next week, but it is not an official solution.

So if you have this situation (TCPIP virtual machine is using both OSE and OSD OSA cards) you should check with IBM.

Avihu Gershoni

Mainframe System Department Manager

Hilan Limited

8 Meitav Street