Offload power queues without cartridges

Victor Echavarry

Jun 21, 2018, 10:55:54 AM6/21/18

Is there a way to offload the power queues using VTAPE, FTP or any other media different than cartridge?

Regards,

Victor Echavarry

System Programmer

Operating Systems

Juha Vuori

Jun 21, 2018, 11:06:04 AM6/21/18
We use VTAPE, with and without Dynam/T.

Would you need any details?

Juha

indust...@winwholesale.com

Jun 21, 2018, 11:37:02 AM6/21/18
"VSE-L" <vse-l-bounces+industrynews=winwhole...@lists.lehigh.edu> wrote on 06/21/2018 10:55:44 AM:
> Is there a way to offload the power queues using VTAPE, FTP or any
> other media different than cartridge?

        It is a bit of a manual process to offload to VTAPE.  But I wrote a REXX routine to automate the process.  So, yeah, it can be done.

Sincerely,

Dave Clark
--
Winsupply Group Services
3110 Kettering Boulevard

This email message and any attachments is for use only by the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential, privileged and/or proprietary information. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete and destroy the message and all copies. All unauthorized direct or indirect use or disclosure of this message is strictly prohibited. No right to confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any error in transmission.

Stuart, David

Jun 21, 2018, 11:40:18 AM6/21/18

If you have Dynam/T, that can ‘automate’ the process, as well. We ran that way for a few years, before we acquired our current Virtual Tape boxes. I presume that EPIC could do it, too, although I have no experience with EPIC.

Dave

Dave Stuart

Principal Info. Systems Support Analyst

County of Ventura

805-662-6731

David....@ventura.org

Mike Robertson

Jun 21, 2018, 11:44:23 AM6/21/18
We don’t handle our power queues that way but we do offload our power account file daily to vtape works fine....,

"VSE-L" > wrote on 06/21/2018 10:55:44 AM:
> Is there a way to offload the power queues using VTAPE, FTP or any
> other media different than cartridge?

It is a bit of a manual process to offload to VTAPE. But I wrote a REXX routine to automate the process. So, yeah, it can be done.

Sincerely,

Dave Clark
--
Winsupply Group Services
3110 Kettering Boulevard
Dayton, Ohio 45439 USA
(937) 294-5331

This email message and any attachments is for use only by the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential, privileged and/or proprietary information. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete and destroy the message and all copies. All unauthorized direct or indirect use or disclosure of this message is strictly prohibited. No right to confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any error in transmission.

------- DISCLAIMER -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message and any attachments are confidential to the ordinary user of the e-mail address to which it was addressed and may also be privileged. If you are not one of the addressees you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of the message or its attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your system. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the context of this message that arise as a result of Internet transmission. Sender accepts no liability for any damages caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Any opinions contained in this message are those of the author and are not given or endorsed by the Rock River Water Reclamation District (RRWRD) unless otherwise clearly indicated in this message and the authority of the author to so bind the RRWRD referred to is duly verified.

------- DISCLAIMER --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Riggs

Jun 21, 2018, 11:46:25 AM6/21/18

We use VTAPE with EPIC, using Standard labels

/. USER STANDARD LABELS  PRODUCTION EPIC

// TLBL D1RDR,'D1.POWER.RDR.QUE',,,,,,64

// TLBL D1LST,'D1.POWER.LST.QUE',,,,,,64

// TLBL RDRALL,'D1.WKYRDR.QUE',,,,,,64

The operator (or automatic process) enters the following:

o backup,all,32b,,tlbl=d1rdr    (32b is tape cuu)

Mike

Mike Riggs

Manager, Systems & Database Administration

Office of the Executive Secretary

Supreme Court of Virginia

(804) 371-5567

Mike Robertson

Jun 21, 2018, 11:50:22 AM6/21/18
Same here with Rexx piece, and shameless plug, I will be having a session on Vtape and our Rexx component at the VM Workshop next week at NC A&T University....

Mike
>>> 06/21/18 10:41 AM >>>

"VSE-L"

Juha Vuori

Jun 21, 2018, 11:26:46 PM6/21/18
Without Dynam/T, no automatic allocation of free VTAPE CUU and no automatic versioning of VTAPE
"cartridge" (file), and Dave Clark's POFFLOAD rexx is needed to know when to VTAPE STOP (thanks
again, Dave):
// SETPARM VCUU=58E
// SETPARM VTAPEFN='/VTAPE/POWER.LST.BUP'
// VTAPE START,UNIT=&VCUU,LOC=VTAP.INTRA.LOCAL,FILE='&VTAPEFN'
// MTC REW,&VCUU
// EXEC REXX=POFFLOAD,PARM='O PICKUP,LST,&VCUU,,*'
// VTAPE STOP,UNIT=&VCUU

With Dynam/T, PWRCUU setting in system options:
POWER Dummy CUU: 58F
Power needs to see the tape label:
// TLBL DYNPOW,'POWER.LST.BUP,Z,DL'
Data set e.g.
DEFINE 'POWER.LST.BUP' NGEN=5 VIRTAPE=VTAPE
Then just:
o pickup,lst,58f,,*,tlbl=dynpow

--
Best regards,
Juha Vuori

On 22.06.2018 00:19, Victor Echavarry wrote:

> Juha:
>
> I would appreciate it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Victor Echavarry
>
> System Programmer
>
> Operating Systems

K and M

Jun 22, 2018, 12:38:44 AM6/22/18
Actually there are other ways to know when to issue VTAPE STOP, using only that available with z/VSE, as
well as using various vendor product features.

Ken

> Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 10:26 PM
> From: "Juha Vuori" <juha....@pp2.inet.fi>
> To: vs...@lists.lehigh.edu
> Subject: Re: Offload power queues without cartridges
>
> Without Dynam/T, no automatic allocation of free VTAPE CUU and no automatic versioning of VTAPE
> "cartridge" (file), and Dave Clark's POFFLOAD rexx is needed to know when to VTAPE STOP (thanks
> again, Dave):

snip..

Juha Vuori

Jun 22, 2018, 1:05:56 AM6/22/18
I'd be interested in knowing what are the other ways with plain z/VSE except for looking at console
for Power messages.

Juha

K and M

Jun 22, 2018, 10:46:32 AM6/22/18
Processing of console messages has been the essence of automation for z/VSE back to DOS/VSE days.
I don't understand why you would want to exclude options of that nature.

Ken

> Sent: Friday, June 22, 2018 at 12:05 AM
> From: "Juha Vuori" <juha....@pp2.inet.fi>
> To: vs...@lists.lehigh.edu
> Subject: Re: Offload power queues without cartridges
>
> I'd be interested in knowing what are the other ways with plain z/VSE except for looking at console
> for Power messages.
>
> Juha

Duerbusch, Tom

Jun 22, 2018, 11:30:04 AM6/22/18
Replacing Operations manual method of offloading Power to tape with VTAPE:

*  POWER OFFLOAD
// ON $CANCEL OR $ABEND GOTO VTAPSTOP
VTAPE START,UNIT=5C0,LOC=VSAM,
               FILE='VTM001',SCRATCH
MTC REW,5C0
// ASSGN SYS001,5C0
// UPSI 1
// EXEC DITTO,SIZE=AUTO
$$DITTO INT OUTPUT=SYS001,VOLSER=VTM001
$$DITTO EOJ
/*
// ASSGN SYS001,UA
*        POFFLOAD BACKUP,ALL,5C0
// PAUSE G 5C0,IGNORE  (IF HEADER LABELS
/*
/. VTAPSTOP
// ASSGN SYS001,UA
VTAPE STOP,UNIT=5C0
/*

Operations has to manually enter the POFFLOAD BACKUP,ALL,5C0
with the GO subcommand.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Juha Vuori

Jun 22, 2018, 2:59:28 PM6/22/18
Oh no, I'm not excluding them, instead I use that method heavily.
That's what POFFLOAD rexx does..

A minor problem with that method is that you need to know all the possible messages indicating that
a process has ended. With new VSE features, e.g. Power POFFLOAD process might end with a new message
which is not recognized by the POFFLOAD rexx causing the automatized poffload job never ends.

When you said there are other ways to know when POFFLOAD process has ended, I thought there might be
e.g. some Power macro or some other interface to Power which would allow to run poffload
syncronously in a job. That would be interesting new information to me :)

Juha