FTP of 100-byte record file to VSE

Frank M. Ramaekers

Jul 28, 2016, 12:03:59 PM7/28/16

I’m struggling with a software vendor that wants to upload (Server to z/VSE) a 100-byte record (that has no termination character(s), like CRLF).   I’m having problems with CSI on finding a way to transfer this file into a SAM (VSAM-managed SAM file).   (We’ve never done FTP to an EPIC disk file and I’ve successfully transferred the PTF.FILE to a SAM-ESDS.)

So, I’m reaching out for ideas.

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr. | Systems Programmer | Information Technology | American Income Life Insurance | 254-761-6649

Stuart, David

Jul 28, 2016, 12:10:17 PM7/28/16

Frank,

No terminate characters, at all? That sounds like a problem on the sending end.

I believe you can set a ‘linux’ mode that will accept LF only. Could that be the case? They’re sending LF only, and not CRLF?

Dave

Dave Stuart

Principal Information Systems Support Analyst

Information Technology Services

County of Ventura, CA

805-662-6731

David....@ventura.org

Frank M. Ramaekers

Jul 28, 2016, 12:14:26 PM7/28/16

No, this is my understanding that the file they create has no record terminating character(s).

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Stuart, David

Jul 28, 2016, 12:23:15 PM7/28/16

Maybe try uploading in Binary mode?

Dave

Kevin Corkery

Jul 28, 2016, 12:30:48 PM7/28/16

Are the records fixed length?  You can then force fixed length on the transfer.  Also, it’s much easier to make a VSAM ESDS the target of the transfer since VSAM is inherently variable length records and easily accommodates records of varying sizes.  I also recall there being something about 4/8 byte overhead on sequential files when unblocked/blocked, but I always use VSAM ESDS so I really don’t have an illustrative example.

Terry Ambrosius

Jul 28, 2016, 1:09:24 PM7/28/16
Like Kevin stated, if records are fixed  you could try this.

I tried it with a rec length of 60 bytes,

 // DLBL CUSTFTP,'TJATESTD'          --------    EPIC DEFINED
 // EXEC FTP,PARM='IP=10.x.xx.xx'
 USER
 PSWD
 USER
 PSWD
 LSITE RECFM FB
 LSITE LRECL 60
 LSITE CRLF OFF
 binary
 DIR
 GET SORTESTDATA.txt %CUSTFTP,SAM,VB,60,60
 QUIT
 /*

Give a shout if you would like to see the input file.

Terry

Frank M. Ramaekers

Jul 28, 2016, 1:12:53 PM7/28/16

Need the ASCII to EBCDIC translation.

Frank M. Ramaekers

Jul 28, 2016, 1:14:10 PM7/28/16

Records are not of varying lengths.  100 bytes fixed length.

Programs work on SAM files, they don’t want to change a large number of programs from SAM to ESDS.

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Martin Truebner

Jul 28, 2016, 1:25:09 PM7/28/16
Frank,

I had that very same problem

I did resort to LIBR-member (everything in one giant member)
and then a rexx to chop it into suitable pieces.

Way faster than finding the right combinations of keywords that
translate to EBCDIC but do not insist in record-delimiter (of any kind)
- plus the extra of dealing with the tricks that are applied during
open of a (FB-U-VSAM-ESAM) file.

Martin

Kevin Corkery

Jul 28, 2016, 1:25:11 PM7/28/16

Send it to a VSAM file, then REPRO it to the working sequential file.

Kevin Corkery

Jul 28, 2016, 1:28:34 PM7/28/16

Seriously, send it to a VSAM file and at least look at what you’re really getting.  I’ve seen files where “all records are the same” except the first or last record is different.  Another good tool for the PC is TextPad which can expose hex information where you can see how records are really terminated; they frequently are but the creator is unaware of it.

Jul 28, 2016, 1:34:14 PM7/28/16
I was working on having them sent it to a Linux machine (which handles
the file just fine), then break it up into 100-byte records following
each with a CRLF, then kick off a FTP to the mainframe.

Did you kick off the REXX program from the FTP session?

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Jul 28, 2016, 1:41:02 PM7/28/16
>> Did you kick off the REXX program from the FTP session?

No - it was a one shoot only thing- but where is the problem to set up
JCL that does the upload and then the REXX to chop it.

Max Singley

Jul 28, 2016, 1:44:59 PM7/28/16

If you are using FTPBATCH, try adding SET EXTRADAT ACCEPT to the FTPBATCH.L and see if that lets it transfer. If you’re using the internal FTP client, define the FTPD with EXTRADATA=ACCEPT specified.

Hope it helps,

Max E. Singley
Technical Services Project Leader
Alex Lee, Inc.
Email:
max.s...@alexlee.com Tel: 828-725-4894

A responsive and reliable production environment doesn't just happen by accident.

Frank M. Ramaekers

Jul 28, 2016, 1:56:33 PM7/28/16
Upload is being performed from a Windows server.

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Jul 28, 2016, 1:56:56 PM7/28/16

Again, the client is on a Windows Server machine.

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Jul 28, 2016, 1:57:31 PM7/28/16

In that case, you will have to add EXTRADATA=ACCEPT to your mainframe FTPD.

have fun,

Max

Leap and the net will appear!

Andy Engels

Jul 28, 2016, 2:04:13 PM7/28/16

We do transfers to SD files all the time.   But I’m having this very same problem.    The records look variable but I think FTP is seeing them as one big chunk because of the CRLF missing…

____________________________________

Andy Engels
IS Team Leader – Technology Infrastructure
IMRF
Oak Brook, IL
630-368-5346

Jul 28, 2016, 2:09:22 PM7/28/16

To eliminate some items, I’m now trying to send a 100-byte/record file and each record is followed by a LF (Unix record delimiter).   I’m attempting to upload to a SAM file (complete with DLBL/EXTENT/ASSGN).

I’m still getting the FTP928E Record 1 larger then max(92) for xxxxxxx UNIX=NO message, although I have SITE RECFM F/FB and SITE LRECL 100/108.   (Thought I’d throw in the 108 since the difference between 92 and 100 is 8 characters).

No matter what I do, it (FTP Daemon) thinks that 92 is the maximum, for some reason.   Since it is now strictly SAM, I can’t imagine where it is getting this information from.

So, I tried w/o any SITE commands and get the same message.

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Jul 28, 2016, 2:10:14 PM7/28/16

Yeah, tried that.   DEFINEd a separate FTPD o a different port and added the EXTRADATA=ACCEPT.   No luck.  L

Frank M. Ramaekers

Jul 28, 2016, 2:34:28 PM7/28/16

Just as a side note, tried the same transfer to z/VM and it transferred okay….well, that’s until you examine the file contents, only the first 100 bytes transferred.   Ugh!

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Jul 28, 2016, 2:55:14 PM7/28/16

How about treating it as a binary file and using a SITE command to specify attributes like recfm or lrecl?   I haven't used FTP directly to VSE, but I've done that sort of thing to MVS.

Edward M. Martin

Jul 28, 2016, 3:06:21 PM7/28/16
Hello Frank,

Did you say the NOCRLF did not work?

Edward M. Martin
Aultman Health Foundation
HealthQuest
330-363-9666
Internal EXT 39666

I was working on having them sent it to a Linux machine (which handles the file just fine), then break it up into 100-byte records following each with a CRLF, then kick off a FTP to the mainframe.

Did you kick off the REXX program from the FTP session?

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

I did resort to LIBR-member (everything in one giant member) and then a rexx to chop it into suitable pieces.

Way faster than finding the right combinations of keywords that translate to EBCDIC but do not insist in record-delimiter (of any kind)
- plus the extra of dealing with the tricks that are applied during open of a (FB-U-VSAM-ESAM) file.

Martin

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail (including the information it contains and attachments) is a business communication intended for the authorized use by the person who requested it, or for the authorized use by the intended recipient to perform an employment duty or business function. This e-mail may contain confidential, privileged, or proprietary information, including (but not limited to) Protected Health Information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). It also may be protected by the Electronic Communications Act. If you received this e-mail by mistake, either directly or inadvertently as a recipient on a copied or forwarded e-mail, promptly notify us by return e-mail. Destroy this e-mail, the information, and attachments you received by mistake. You must not print, use, forward, or disclose to any third party by electronic, written or oral means any information you received by mistake. We do not waive any privilege. We may take le
gal steps or other appropriate action, as needed, to protect the confidentiality and privilege of any information inadvertently disclosed.

Frank M. Ramaekers

Jul 28, 2016, 3:16:25 PM7/28/16
The 'SITE CRLF OFF', did not.

Frank M. Ramaekers

Jul 28, 2016, 3:17:23 PM7/28/16
For testing purpose we are simply using the FTP Client that comes with
Windows (Server).

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.