CANCEL f1 -

Deetjen, Jean-Max

Jan 18, 2017, 12:33:25 PM1/18/17

Listers,

So in the past six month, we have had 2 different operators  cance f1 on our production system and also reply yes to the 1I55D CANCEL VSE/POWER ?  REPLY YES OR NO.

I AM WONDERING WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING OUT THERE TO TRY TO PREVENT SUCH A THING FROM HAPPENING., WITHOUT TOTALLY TAKING THE FUNTIONALITY TO DO THEIR JOB AWAY FROM THEM.

I’M AWARE OF THE POWER SET=CONFIRM COMMAND, BUT I WONDER IF THAT WOULD HAVE WORKED HERE.

FIRING IS NOT AN OPTION. THEY ARE HARD ENOUGH TO FIND.

Jean-Max Deetjen

Sr. Mainframe Systems Engineer

HVHC Inc.

711 Troy Schenectady Road  | Latham NY 12110

Office : 518.220.6279 | Cell : 518.698.9590 | Fax : 518.220.6579

Jdee...@hvhc.com  | WWW.HVHC.COM

------------------------------------------------------------------------ The information contained in this communication is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. It may contain information that is privileged or confidential, and may be protected by State and/or Federal Regulations. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please return it to the sender immediately and delete the original message and any copy of it from your computer system. If you have any questions concerning this message, please contact the sender. ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony Thigpen

Jan 18, 2017, 12:55:56 PM1/18/17
Baseball bat.

Tony Thigpen

Deetjen, Jean-Max wrote on 01/18/2017 12:33 PM:
> Listers,
>
> So in the past six month, we have had 2 different operators cance f1 on
> our production system and also reply yes to the 1I55D CANCEL VSE/POWER
> ? REPLY YES OR NO.
>
> I AM WONDERING WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING OUT THERE TO TRY TO PREVENT SUCH
> A THING FROM HAPPENING., WITHOUT TOTALLY TAKING THE FUNTIONALITY TO DO
> THEIR JOB AWAY FROM THEM.
>
> I’M AWARE OF THE POWER SET=CONFIRM COMMAND, BUT I WONDER IF THAT WOULD
> HAVE WORKED HERE.
>
> FIRING IS NOT AN OPTION. THEY ARE HARD ENOUGH TO FIND.
>
> *Jean-Max Deetjen*
>
> Sr. Mainframe Systems Engineer
>
> *HVHC Inc.*
>
> 711 Troy Schenectady Road | Latham NY 12110
>
> Office : 518.220.6279 | Cell : 518.698.9590 | Fax : 518.220.6579
>
> Jdee...@hvhc.com <mailto:Jdee...@hvhc.com> | WWW.HVHC.COM

> The information contained in this communication is intended only for the
> use of the recipient(s) named above. It may contain information that is
> privileged or confidential, and may be protected by State and/or Federal
> Regulations. If the reader of this message is not the intended
> recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
> or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly
> return it to the sender immediately and delete the original message and
> any copy of it from your computer system. If you have any questions
> concerning this message, please contact the sender.

Gustavo Torres

Jan 18, 2017, 12:55:59 PM1/18/17
If you have FAQS you can to force the automatic reply "NO"

Chuck Arney

Jan 18, 2017, 1:05:45 PM1/18/17

You can use an automation product to front-end the Cancel command or else issue an autoreply for the 1I55D if the partition is POWER.

Chuck Arney

Arney Computer Systems

Web: http://autompf.rocks

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/arneycomputer

Max Singley

Jan 18, 2017, 1:27:02 PM1/18/17

If you have FAQS or an automated console, have it automatically respond NO to message 1I55D and beat them to it.

have fun,

Max

Leap and the net will appear!

Max Singley

Jan 18, 2017, 1:32:16 PM1/18/17

Here’s one more way to skin that cat by using the STACK function to substitute a comment anytime the CANCEL F1 command is issued:

STACK CANCEL F1 |* YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CANCEL POWER'

have fun,

Max E. Singley
Technical Services Project Leader
Alex Lee, Inc.
Email:
max.s...@alexlee.com Tel: 828-725-4894

A responsive and reliable production environment doesn't just happen by accident.

Jan 18, 2017, 2:13:19 PM1/18/17

Thanks. Never use stack. And since I’m not allowed to use machete, I will have to quick learn it uses.

Thanks again to all that replied. U 2 david.

Frank M. Ramaekers

Jan 18, 2017, 2:42:48 PM1/18/17

Is torture out of the question?

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Jan 18, 2017, 2:43:52 PM1/18/17

I find it depends on the severity of the offense, and the mood of your HR person.

Dave

Dave Stuart

Principal Info. Systems Support Analyst

County of Ventura

805-662-6731

David....@ventura.org

Gustavo Torres

Jan 18, 2017, 3:14:16 PM1/18/17
The STACK solution has its risks,
if you code:  STACK CANCEL F1 |* YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CANCEL POWER
your operator could use CANCEL  F1 and achieve its purpose (using 2 spaces after CANCEL)

Ken and Mary Meyer

Jan 18, 2017, 3:23:37 PM1/18/17
With FAQS you can also prevent certain commands from
being issued, besides auto replying to it.

Ken

​snip..

indust...@winwholesale.com

Jan 18, 2017, 4:09:18 PM1/18/17
"VSE-L" <vse-l-bounces+industrynews=winwhole...@lists.lehigh.edu> wrote on 01/18/2017 12:33:10 PM:
> I AM WONDERING WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING OUT THERE TO TRY TO PREVENT
> SUCH A THING FROM HAPPENING., WITHOUT TOTALLY TAKING THE
> FUNTIONALITY TO DO THEIR JOB AWAY FROM THEM.

        Using FAQS/ASO, we protect many of our long-running partitions either from being cancelled or from being flushed -- as appropriate.  If protected from being flushed, we still allow those to be cancelled for those cases where it is absolutely necessary.  We just set an auto-reply of NO to bypass the possibility of YES being entered from any console interface.

** BIM-FAQS/ASO -- Console Action Directory List **

Action Name       Function:
PROTECT_D         Reply M=(1QZ1D) M2=(D)
PROTECT_FB        Reply M=(1QZ1D) M2=(FB)
PROTECT_F1        Reply M=(1I55D) M2=(VSE/POWER)
PROTECT_F2        Reply M=(1QZ1D) M2=(F2)
PROTECT_I         Reply M=(1QZ1D) M2=(I)
PROTECT_K         Reply M=(1QZ1D) M2=(K)
PROTECT_Q         Reply M=(1QZ1D) M2=(Q)
PROTECT_S         Reply M=(1QZ1D) M2=(S)
PROTECT_W         Reply M=(1QZ1D) M2=(W)
PROTECT_X         Reply M=(1QZ1D) M2=(X)
PROTECT_Z         Reply M=(1QZ1D) M2=(Z)

Sincerely,

Dave Clark
--
Winsupply Group Services
3110 Kettering Boulevard

> FIRING IS NOT AN OPTION. THEY ARE HARD ENOUGH TO FIND.

> Jean-Max Deetjen

> Sr. Mainframe Systems Engineer

> HVHC Inc.

> 711 Troy Schenectady Road  | Latham NY 12110

> Office : 518.220.6279 | Cell : 518.698.9590 | Fax : 518.220.6579

> Jdee...@hvhc.com  |
WWW.HVHC.COM

> The information contained in this communication is intended only for
> the use of the recipient(s) named above. It may contain information
> that is privileged or confidential, and may be protected by State
> and/or Federal Regulations. If the reader of this message is not the
> distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its
> contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
> communication in error, please return it to the sender immediately
> and delete the original message and any copy of it from your
> computer system. If you have any questions concerning this message,
> please contact the sender.

This email message and any attachments is for use only by the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential, privileged and/or proprietary information. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete and destroy the message and all copies. All unauthorized direct or indirect use or disclosure of this message is strictly prohibited. No right to confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any error in transmission.

Mick Poil

Jan 19, 2017, 5:11:05 AM1/19/17
If you use ECKD dasd, you can use STACKP to get VSE to reinstate the STACK command during subsequent IPLs.