Terminal Timing Out on z/VSE 6,1

Billy Bingham

Oct 20, 2016, 10:27:49 AM10/20/16
Hello,

We had our annual DR test this week and after it was completed I was
able to install z/VSE 6.1 on the DR LPAR. I tried this on our production
LPAR a few weeks ago, but ran into problems. I was able to resolve the
problem on the DR z/VSE 6.1 system and after testing it looks like
things are running ok. The one problem I seem to be having is that users
are being signed off after a period of in-activity. I have the IUI user
defined with TIMEOUT=00 and from the help screen this would seem to
indicate that the user would not be timed out. Are there other places I
should look. I've looked at the TYPETERM and TERMINAL definitions in RDO
and nothing popped out.

I am running TopSecret on production, but the TopSecret database and
files are a copy of production and we're getting the issue there.

Thanks,

Billy

Billy Bingham

Oct 20, 2016, 10:34:51 AM10/20/16

That should be:

I am running TopSecret on production, but the TopSecret database and files are a copy of production and we're not getting the issue there.

Billy

Helio Mario Neves Pimentel de Oliveira

Oct 20, 2016, 11:11:44 AM10/20/16
Hi Billy,

Would you willing to share your IOCP deck.
We are about to go into the same process I understand you are in -
installation of zVSE 6.1 in parallel.

Thank you in advance,

Helio Mario - Brasil

Enviada em: quinta-feira, 20 de outubro de 2016 12:28
Para: VSE Discussion List <vs...@lists.lehigh.edu>
Assunto: Terminal Timing Out on z/VSE 6,1

Helio Mario Neves Pimentel de Oliveira

Oct 20, 2016, 11:27:48 AM10/20/16
All our I/O definitions are done on a z/OS system using IODF and I don't
have access to it.

Billy

Cohen, Sam

Oct 20, 2016, 12:06:41 PM10/20/16

Billy,

Are there any console, VTAM or IP messages indicating disconnection at the network level?  Since this is DR, is the terminal emulator software setup differently (other than IP address, perhaps) to include an inactivity timeout?

Thanks,

Sam Cohen

Billy Bingham

Oct 20, 2016, 1:17:51 PM10/20/16

All I get is a DFHSN1200  message when the user is signed off. And that is what I see if the user signs off normally.

If there was an inactivity timer in the TN3270 emulator I would expect to see the session disconnected also and that is not happening.

Billy

Billy Bingham

Oct 21, 2016, 9:09:23 AM10/21/16

I seem to have resolved this problem although I don't have any idea of why the user was timing out.

I have three user ids defined: SYSB, XA11 & XA12, SYSB did not time out, but XA11 & XA12 did after 58-59 minutes of inactivity. This morning I delete XA11 & XA12 from the IUI and then from TopSecret. I then re-added XA11 & XA12 to TopSecret and to the IUI. Those two users have been logged on now for 68 minutes with no activity and have not timed out.

I'm glad I found a resolution in case it happens when I do migrate to z/VSE 6.1, but I sure would like to know why it happened. I don't like these kind of things :)

Thanks,

Billy