Re: FYI: 50 years of VSE and 9th European GSE/IBM Technical

L'Heureux, Paul

Aug 7, 2015, 7:53:13 AM8/7/15

No operating system in the world provides more “Bang for your buck” than VSE.

Paul L’Heureux

Department of Corrections | Central Office | BIT

1920 Technology Parkway

Mechanicsburg, PA 17050

Deetjen, Jean-Max

Aug 7, 2015, 10:57:55 AM8/7/15

I agree with your statement Paul. And z/VSE has made a lot of progress in past few years. VSE lost a lot of it’s customer s when IBM in the early 90’s decided that every vse shop should be replace by an as/400. I wonder where is the as/400 today?

Jean-Max Deetjen

Mainframe Systems Programmer

direct/fax 609-222-6005 | main 609-394-7500

jdee...@hibbertgroup.com | www.hibbertgroup.com

This e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the use of the person to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the employee of agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this information is protected under the law and STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the related e-mail and any attachments.   Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.  Thank you.

indust...@winwholesale.com

Aug 7, 2015, 11:50:40 AM8/7/15
"VSE-L" <vse-l-bounces+industrynews=winwhole...@lists.lehigh.edu> wrote on 08/07/2015 10:57:40 AM:
> I wonder where is the as/400 today?

        Still advancing ... and its built-in facilities are beyond those of our VSE mainframe.  The AS/400 became the IBM iSeries and is now just called the IBM i.  We have two big ones along with our mainframe.  We are slowly migrating off of our mainframe with some applications going to the IBM i and some applications becoming  network-based applications.

        We used to be a distributed shop with baby AS/400's spread across about 500 local companies across the United States.  (We also had a small AS/400 locally for software development which was distributed to the local companies.)  Those baby 400's would upload their daily transactions to our centralized mainframe every night and the mainframe would push back down any updates for the local 400's.

        We finally got a much bigger IBM iSeries and centralized those distributed baby AS/400's so that, currently, all processing is centralized even though we still have close to 600 local companies spread across the United States.  Thus, the feeling now is that we don't need to continue maintaining (and synchronizing) two different platforms.  But, because of the investment in software development on the IBM i for use by all those remote locations, we are not migrating in the other direction.

Sincerely,

Dave Clark

WinWholesale Group Services
3110 Kettering Boulevard
Dayton, Ohio  45439  USA
(937) 294-5331

This email message and any attachments is for use only by the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential, privileged and/or proprietary information. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete and destroy the message and all copies. All unauthorized direct or indirect use or disclosure of this message is strictly prohibited. No right to confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any error in transmission.

fum00A

Sep 29, 2015, 9:05:23 AM9/29/15
One of the strengths of VSE (and DOS) has been its simplicity and efficiency. After all that is what caused it to be written in the first place... that darn OS/360 was so complex it couldn't be ready in time for the first hardware release.

VSE does not require a bunch of highly trained/paid system types to install and administer and it doesn't require a lot of hardware to run well.

That being said, I think IBM has lost that essence of late. Requiring a "Kludgie" configuration of VM and Linux to perform in today's computing environment is moving in the wrong direction.

Today's environment is about WINDOWS and I-whatever - plugin and play. VSE had that potential. Not anymore.