VSE usage numbers.

Tom Huegel

Jul 5, 2016, 12:15:09 PM7/5/16
Someone here has expressed concern that we may be the last VSE shop in the world someday.

Just to ease his concerns does anyone have some ballpark guess as to how many VSE shops there are?

Thanks

Kevin Corkery

Jul 5, 2016, 12:31:25 PM7/5/16

We’re losing 70% of our workload this year.  But then again, that should of happened 20 years ago and we’re still here.  I’ll give it another 3 years.   Must be someone out there since IBM keeps releasing new versions to support the latest and greatest hardware.

Jul 5, 2016, 12:40:26 PM7/5/16
I was at the zTranformation group meeting back in May, and it was said 400 or so in North America that are known sites.  In our case, we have no immediate plans to leave VSE, but we are augmenting it with a Linux (on z) front end among other things.  We have some growth in all our environments, but Linux (on z) is our biggest growth.

No plans for going off of VSE.

Mike Robertson
CIO
Rock River Water Reclamation District

On 7/5/2016 at 11:34 AM, <aen...@imrf.org> wrote:

When I worked for a vendor, I had about 35 accounts in the Chicago area (including some Wisconsin Illinois away from Chicago , and some Indiana).  There were more handled by others.

Off the top of my head, I’d say there are 4 or 5 left, including us.  But that’ll only be another 4 or 5 years tops….

____________________________________

Andy Engels
IS Team Leader – Technology Infrastructure
IMRF
Oak Brook, IL
630-368-5346

Jul 5, 2016, 12:49:10 PM7/5/16
Tom,
You are FAR from the last VSE shop in the world today and you will not be tomorrow, either.

Here are some numbers for you:
The actual number of MIPS/MSUs running z/VSE is still GROWING year over year!

I would estimate that there are close to 200 to 250 VSE shops in the US and another 200 or so worldwide.

Our survey last year (results for this year's survey are just coming in now) showed that 50% of all z/VSE shops planned to be on z/VSE for more than five years (most with NO PLANS to migrate at all!).  Another 25% or so (if memory serves) intended to be on the platform at least 3 to 5 years (nearly all end up taking longer than they planned to migrate).

SOOOOOOO, suffice it to say, you will not be the only z/VSE customer left for a LONG, LONG TIME!  Enjoy the environment today.  Enjoy the environment in the future.  It is rock solid and not going ANYWHERE!!!

Hope this helps....
Ken McMahon
Founder and Director of Sales and Marketing
z/Transformation Technology Group, LLC

Kevin Corkery

Jul 5, 2016, 3:20:54 PM7/5/16
Funny how I made a career as a Cobol programmer, you know, that language that died back in the early '70s.

Sent from my WinPhone

Jul 6, 2016, 3:24:48 AM7/6/16

From Italy: VSE/ESA 2.3.1 …. and it is still working!

Francesco Madonia

Nessun virus nel messaggio.
Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
Versione: 2013.0.3556 / Database dei virus: 4477/12563 - Data di rilascio: 05/07/2016

gerhard...@rzd.co.at

Jul 6, 2016, 3:28:33 AM7/6/16
From Austria :z/VSE 5.2 unde rz/VM 6.3 on a BC12 - and this for the next 3
to 5 years - but we will not upgrade any more

with best regards
Gerhard

mit freundlichen Grüßen
Gerhard Tatschl

Dipl.Ing. Gerhard Tatschl
Systemprogrammierung
RZD DatenverarbeitungsgesmbH
Brigittenauer Lände 50-54, 1203 Wien
DVR 0430277, HG WIEN FN 91097 t430277, HG Wien FN 91097 t
Telefon +43 50 222 / 1197
gerhard...@rzd.co.at
*** Forti ***

Jeffrey Barnard

Jul 6, 2016, 8:59:01 AM7/6/16
On 07/05/2016 12:49 PM, Ken McMahon wrote:
> I would estimate that there are close to 200 to 250 VSE shops in the US and
> another 200 or so worldwide.

These numbers do not include the vast number of ESL VSE/ESA sites out
there. At one time, in excess of 1500. Many of these sites still run
VSE/ESA (1.4 to 2.7) and have a little ESL qualified box sitting in a
closet that no one thinks much about anymore. There are still lots and lots
of these shops but no one hears much from them.

Regards,
Jeff

Tom Huegel

Jul 6, 2016, 10:02:56 AM7/6/16
Thanks to everyone that replied, the numbers are useful. Now I don't feel so alone.

Lou Winston

Jul 6, 2016, 10:52:27 AM7/6/16

Unfortunately there are a lot of z/OS shops that SHOULD be running z/VSE - if it were a more vital operating platform.

I know of one z/OS site that runs a total of three applications; they in no way come close to exploiting the capabilities of z/OS but I can't blame them for thinking they need to run it.

L.W.

Jul 7, 2016, 2:45:47 PM7/7/16
IMO, the language closest to what Pascal attempted to
do is REXX.

Ken

snip..

Mick Poil

Jul 7, 2016, 3:21:51 PM7/7/16

Going back to Mike's post, only 18 months to my 65th. Maybe I can still do some VSE things afterwards though.

Mike

Lou Winston

Jul 12, 2016, 11:57:13 AM7/12/16

It's sentiment like that that makes me think a consortium of VSE old timers with lots of experience and time on their hands could stand a chance of taking the product to new levels.

L.W.

I guess it depends on what the definition of "dead" is.

L.W

I’ve been told our z/VSE Systems would be gone “in less than 5 years” since about 2 weeks after I started here. Been here for 16 years, now. And *if* the project is successful, it will still take 3 – 4 years. I’m planning 5…

Dave

Lou Winston

Jul 14, 2016, 2:32:14 PM7/14/16

Someone has to be last, might as well be you.

L.W.

We've been told we would be off of the mainframe (vm/vse - all z now) every 3 years since the turn of the century. Still here running strong.

Shawn Legrand
ICW Group

David....@ventura.org<mailto:David....@ventura.org>

Someone here has expressed concern that we may be the last VSE shop in the world someday.

Just to ease his concerns does anyone have some ballpark guess as to how many VSE shops there are?

Thanks

Tom Grossheider, IBM Corp

Aug 1, 2016, 10:42:03 AM8/1/16
I'm still in the Chicago area, former field PSR now working VSE level 2.