VSAM "FILE IN USE"

Frank M. Ramaekers

Oct 12, 2016, 10:27:44 AM10/12/16

How do I determine where it’s in use?

TIA,

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr. | Systems Programmer | Information Technology | American Income Life Insurance | 254-761-6649

colin...@wipro.com

Oct 12, 2016, 10:29:14 AM10/12/16

Usually it is in CICS. You may need to close the file.

Colin

Oct 12, 2016, 10:37:49 AM10/12/16

Yes, this I know….CICS is down, but Dr. D is saying files are in use, and I cannot tell where.

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Stuart, David

Oct 12, 2016, 10:42:12 AM10/12/16

Frank,

Do you have Hyperbuf (sp?), MasterCat, or products like that? Experience says that they can keep a file open, even when CICS, or the other primary file user(s), have closed the file or are down. Also, I have seen Explore keep a VSAM Catalog, and even a single file, open if you VSAM Monitoring enabled.

Dave

Dave Stuart

Principal Information Systems Support Analyst

Information Technology Services

County of Ventura, CA

805-662-6731

David....@ventura.org

Kevin Corkery

Oct 12, 2016, 10:42:31 AM10/12/16

Could be TCP/IP or an interactive DITTO somewhere.

Oct 12, 2016, 10:53:35 AM10/12/16

Yes, MASTERCAT….this is on a test system of which I’m the only user and I’ve IPL’ed multiple times (to try to clear it up) and prevented CICS from coming up and I still have the “in use”.

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Frank M. Ramaekers

Oct 12, 2016, 10:54:31 AM10/12/16

Yeah, if I wasn’t the only user of the z/VSE…but I am (and I just recently IPL’ed to make sure everything got cleared up…just in case).

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Lou Winston

Oct 12, 2016, 11:00:00 AM10/12/16

FWIW, I have a little program that all it does is open a VSAM file for update.  If the file is open elsewhere, the resulting message points to the task number owning the file. Issuing a STATUS command will point to the owner..

L.W.

Oct 12, 2016, 12:02:41 PM10/12/16

Well, it turns out that Dr. D (7.0B), is giving me an “IN USE”, when the file simply wasn’t closed successfully on a prior access.

Thanks all,

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Oct 12, 2016, 12:40:49 PM10/12/16

We have Dr. D(7.0B), haven’t noticed this issue. But we possibly wouldn’t see it, we coded VUSE: SAVE to have DR. D work similar to VSAM B/R.

If you get a fix for this let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

Oct 12, 2016, 12:42:39 PM10/12/16

This is an x’74’ open code … VERIFY would fix this.  DrD may have an option to permit the backup to proceed.

Oct 12, 2016, 1:00:17 PM10/12/16

I HAVE SEEN NAVIGATOR KEEP A FILE OPEN EVEN AFTER IT WAS DOWN. I THINK THEER WAS A PTF TO ADDRESS THAT SITUATION.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ The information contained in this communication is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. It may contain information that is privileged or confidential, and may be protected by State and/or Federal Regulations. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please return it to the sender immediately and delete the original message and any copy of it from your computer system. If you have any questions concerning this message, please contact the sender. ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank M. Ramaekers

Oct 12, 2016, 1:09:21 PM10/12/16

Yeah, I just applied a number of fixes (032-057) and now it cancels when it hits one of these.

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Frank M. Ramaekers

Oct 12, 2016, 1:10:01 PM10/12/16

It use to proceed…until I applied a bunch of fixes.

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Frank M. Ramaekers

Oct 12, 2016, 1:10:27 PM10/12/16

Thanks MAX but it is Dr. D that’s the culprit.

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Steve Mondy

Oct 12, 2016, 3:49:47 PM10/12/16

Enhancements!

You probably already know this but you can code this to save even if it is open,

// EXEC  DRD

SA=NO,VUse=SAve, . . .

SA=LO,. . .

SA=N,TA=RU

/*

Steve

Frank M. Ramaekers

Oct 12, 2016, 3:58:56 PM10/12/16

Yes, and that turned to be my problem…when refreshing, you have to DRZAP the options into the DRD module….unfortunately, it’s not a separate file.  Also, the “In Use” message is very misleading…no file was “In Use”, simply not closed properly upon last access.

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Steve Mondy

Oct 12, 2016, 4:21:36 PM10/12/16

You are correct, sir. I have run into that as well.