RE: Dynam/T definition and associated ASIPROC entry

Max Singley

Apr 27, 2016, 8:16:40 AM4/27/16
I’m not sure what the DYNAM-T recommendations are, but we run DYNAM-T with 7F0-7F4 defined as the dummy entries and have never had any kind of issue.

Have fun,
Max E. Singley
Technical Services Project Leader
Alex Lee, Inc.
Email: max.s...@alexlee.com Tel: 828-725-4894
A responsive and reliable production environment doesn't just happen by accident.

Apr 27, 2016, 8:51:26 AM4/27/16
IIRC, you only need these dummy devices if you use the TDYNASN "ASSGN SYSnnn,DUMMY" feature.
Unless you do a lot of parallel "dummy" tape-processing, 7F0-7F4 should be sufficient.

Also, we use 7F5 as dummy device for POFFLOAD backup/restore to Dynam/T controlled tapes.
// EXEC CACCDBU0
ALT DTOPTIONS CPU(*) PWRCUU(7F5) REFRESH(YES)
/*
DISCLAIMER

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postm...@vanbreda.be
This footnote also confirms that this email has been checked
for the presence of viruses.

Informatica Van Breda NV BTW BE 0427 908 174

Frank M. Ramaekers

Apr 27, 2016, 9:14:49 AM4/27/16
I think it's important to tell us how many "real" tape drives you have (to show the ration of dummy to real).

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Apr 27, 2016, 2:54:51 PM4/27/16
Hello Allan,

Follow the good advice from my old friend Geert! He did answerd exactly
what is right.
All the best to you all! ... and particularly to Geert.
Daniel

Daniel de Viron
Independant consultant z/VM and z/VSE
Rue haute 42
1435 Corbais
Belgium
tel +32 474 715 713
Company number BE 0542.346.497

Allan Peterson

Apr 27, 2016, 3:17:02 PM4/27/16
If everything was working as it should be 8 real drives ,but, at the moment only 3.
Hence the having a look at VTL

Dieltiens Geert via VSE-L

Apr 28, 2016, 2:39:09 AM4/28/16
Yo Daniel, thanks! All the best to you as well...

Apr 28, 2016, 2:36:31 PM4/28/16
Hello Allan,
As Geert noted in his reply, the number of virtual devices have no relation
with the number of real devices.
The number of virtual devices has to be high enough to fullfill the number
of concurrent EXEC TDYNASN ... ASSGN SYSxxx,DUMMY. If you have maximum 2
concurrent TDYNASN with 1 ASSGN SYSxxx,DUMMY 2 dummy device would be
enough. But with experience, it show that having 5 dummy devices (by
default 7F0:7F4) would be sufficient in all cases. In nearly 27 years
supporting CA DYNAM I alwais did use this address and never encountered any
probem.

Regards,