CICS TS System Log and cold starts

michael...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2016, 11:29:53 AM4/28/16

I know that I ought to have the answer for this, but it is not something that I have seen in a real live customer CICS system, but I hope that at least one of you has.

If you were to ALWAYS use START=COLD, why would you need to use a CICS System Log (journal 1)?

I don't have a real production CICS system to play with, and hence I cannot guarantee getting the range of possibilities that would mean I could decide one way or the other based on tests.

I know that using a System Log always works, but why would you want the performance penalty of journaling I/O and repeated OPEN/CLOSE activity if you didn't need it?

Thanks.

Mike

Edward M. Martin

Apr 28, 2016, 11:50:01 AM4/28/16
Hello Mike,

Can't you use the CICS System Log (journal 1) for DTB for files that are not specifically journaled?

Edward M. Martin
Aultman Health Foundation
HealthQuest
330-363-9666
Internal EXT 39666

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail (including the information it contains and attachments) is a business communication intended for the authorized use by the person who requested it, or for the authorized use by the intended recipient to perform an employment duty or business function. This e-mail may contain confidential, privileged, or proprietary information, including (but not limited to) Protected Health Information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). It also may be protected by the Electronic Communications Act. If you received this e-mail by mistake, either directly or inadvertently as a recipient on a copied or forwarded e-mail, promptly notify us by return e-mail. Destroy this e-mail, the information, and attachments you received by mistake. You must not print, use, forward, or disclose to any third party by electronic, written or oral means any information you received by mistake. We do not waive any privilege. We may take le
gal steps or other appropriate action, as needed, to protect the confidentiality and privilege of any information inadvertently disclosed.

gerhard...@rzd.co.at

Apr 29, 2016, 3:55:22 AM4/29/16
Hello, Mike

If You aways start with START=COLD, You don't need the logged data when
starting CICS.

But if You have a DFHFCT (or a CSD) with journalling activated for several
files, You need the log-file to write the journalled data; (e.g. to do a
transaction-backout when a transaction which updates files abends).

with best regards
Gerhard

*** Forti ***

Mick Poil

Apr 29, 2016, 9:01:48 AM4/29/16
Gerhard,

Thanks. I have found the requirement in the doc now.

Mike