FICON ESCON Conversion

Helio Mario Neves Pimentel de Oliveira

Jun 15, 2017, 6:05:25 PM6/15/17
Hi Listers,

Anyone has a device which provides attachment of an IBM ESCON unit to a
zCPU FICON port available to sell?
Any information is welcome.

Thank you

Helio Mario - Brasil

Helio Mario Neves Pimentel de Oliveira

Jun 15, 2017, 6:27:53 PM6/15/17

IBM 2216-400 router

Jun 15, 2017, 8:35:43 PM6/15/17
You would need an OPTICA Prizm FICON to ESCON converter. There may be some in the used market as shops get rid of the last of their ESCON devices. I tried e-bay, but nothing there.

Regards, Jim
--
Jim Elliott
z Systems Consultant

Carlos Bodra - Pessoal

Jun 15, 2017, 9:10:01 PM6/15/17

These appliances are very very expensive and didn´t run in 2nd hand market.

Carlos Bodra

IBM System Certified System z

São Paulo - Brazil

Jun 16, 2017, 7:20:29 AM6/16/17
How many TN3270 sessions are you using? Do you have an ICC capable CPU?

Tony Thigpen

Helio Mario Neves Pimentel de Oliveira wrote on 06/15/2017 06:27 PM:
> IBM 2216-400 router

Deetjen, Jean-Max

Jun 16, 2017, 9:23:08 AM6/16/17
If u have a free osa card you could get 255 sessions.

How many TN3270 sessions are you using? Do you have an ICC capable CPU?

Tony Thigpen

Helio Mario Neves Pimentel de Oliveira wrote on 06/15/2017 06:27 PM:
> IBM 2216-400 router
>
> *De:*VSE-L [mailto:vse-l-bounces+hm=engepel...@lists.lehigh.edu]
> *Em nome de *Ken Bloom *Enviada em:* quinta-feira, 15 de junho de 2017
> 19:21
> *Para:* VSE Discussion List <vs...@lists.lehigh.edu>
> *Assunto:* Re: FICON ESCON Conversion
>
> What escon device are you trying to connect?
>
> Kenneth A. Bloom
> CEO
>
> Avenir Technologies Inc
>
> /d/b/a Visara International
>
> 203-984-2235 <tel:203-984-2235>
> bl...@visara.com <mailto:bl...@visara.com>
>
> www.visara.com
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.visara.com_&d
> =DwICAg&c=YeYAMPPttvq4ETyeKJSq0w&r=hHNPnueqMKKXBToM2IebZPgM2C-rIA9ECd1
> t-Cs_YM0&m=S5yDSXl_YTqaFLNMD8cvU5_svvAFo5dJNUnCIX7H9KU&s=iKkxmELhrS0Z-
> QL-Upwq7X7QqVDqOv0NBB4SWlsREkg&e= >
>

> On Jun 15, 2017, at 6:05 PM, Helio Mario Neves Pimentel de Oliveira
> <h...@engepel.com.br <mailto:h...@engepel.com.br>> wrote:
>
> Hi Listers,
>
> Anyone has a device which provides attachment of an IBM ESCON unit to a
> zCPU FICON port available to sell?
> Any information is welcome.
>
> Thank you
>
> Helio Mario - Brasil

> KKXBToM2IebZPgM2C-rIA9ECd1t-Cs_YM0&m=S5yDSXl_YTqaFLNMD8cvU5_svvAFo5dJN
> UnCIX7H9KU&s=W4tAMmy4TSab1PBYbTAqSA2R-aHvbZdt3INSpj2XN88&e=

> KKXBToM2IebZPgM2C-rIA9ECd1t-Cs_YM0&m=S5yDSXl_YTqaFLNMD8cvU5_svvAFo5dJN
> UnCIX7H9KU&s=W4tAMmy4TSab1PBYbTAqSA2R-aHvbZdt3INSpj2XN88&e=

The information contained in this communication is intended
only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. It may
contain information that is privileged or confidential, and
may be protected by State and/or Federal Regulations. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of
its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please return it to the sender
immediately and delete the original message and any copy
of it from your computer system. If you have any questions
concerning this message, please contact the sender.

Kevin Corkery

Jun 16, 2017, 9:27:06 AM6/16/17
I think it's 120/OSA, at least that's what it is on my z114 system.

Deetjen, Jean-Max

Jun 16, 2017, 9:38:55 AM6/16/17

Deetjen, Jean-Max

Jun 16, 2017, 9:46:27 AM6/16/17

Tony Thigpen

Jun 16, 2017, 9:47:21 AM6/16/17
Don't bother pulling up the manual, It is 120 per OSA chipid. I am
reconfiguring some right this minute.

Tony Thigpen

Helio Mario Neves Pimentel de Oliveira

Jun 16, 2017, 9:51:47 AM6/16/17

Hi Ken,

I don´t know of any 2216 comparable device nowadays.

HM

Jun 16, 2017, 9:57:13 AM6/16/17
Hi Tony, Jean, Kevin,

Yes we have a OSA-ICC running, but it only serves console, and 4/5 3270
connections in case of a super emergency.

Actually 550 TN3270 sessions.

Helio Mario

Enviada em: sexta-feira, 16 de junho de 2017 10:27
Para: 'VSE Discussion List' <vs...@lists.lehigh.edu>
Assunto: RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: RES: FICON ESCON Conversion

I think it's 120/OSA, at least that's what it is on my z114 system.

Jun 16, 2017, 10:06:33 AM6/16/17
What kind of z-box are you running? How many slots do you have free, or
can free up? Unless you are running with multiple network addresses,
adding 2 cards will eliminate your need for the TN3270 function of the 2216.

Or, maybe the question is: What box are you going to be installing? If
you are worried about no ESCON channels, then it must be a newer box, so
just order 2 extra OSAs.

Tony Thigpen

Helio Mario Neves Pimentel de Oliveira

Jun 16, 2017, 10:13:12 AM6/16/17

You´re right, it´s just comfortable for the moment ..

Yes, I know I will end up (next step) in a new configuration directly into the CPU, via OSA / TCP / TN daemon.

But, my concerns, what about exposing IBM cpu to the world out there? , what’s the net reconfig effort (including the 3270 emulators IP update)? How long will it take?

Actually 2216 receives all 3270 emulators traffic, isolates the ‘trash’, and route the acceptable stuff  to a VTAM XCA connection.

HM

Jun 16, 2017, 10:49:16 AM6/16/17

Yes, just TN3270 traffic, none SNA...

Jun 16, 2017, 11:39:31 AM6/16/17
550 TN3270E sessions ...

This would be easily and inexpensively handled by using your existing OSA
Express adapter and our BSTTVNET TN3270E server on z/VSE.

If you have questions, just email.

Regards,
Jeff

--