Re: VSAM feedback code list

Scott, John , Endevor

Apr 28, 2005, 9:44:47 AM4/28/05
QW VSAMOPEN or QW VSAMGET etc

João Carvalho (DSI)

Apr 28, 2005, 9:31:09 AM4/28/05

João Carvalho (DSI)

> *** WARNING : This message originates from the Internet ***

João Carvalho (DSI)

Apr 28, 2005, 10:27:34 AM4/28/05

David S Speake

Apr 28, 2005, 10:50:58 AM4/28/05
Thank you, both of you, questioner and responder.

QW is a shortcut method (backed by a REXX/Command table entry/etc) of a very
valuable reference product from
Chicago-Soft, Ltd. - MVS/QuickRef 6.2

It runs under ISPF and is the repository of much that keeps my boss putting up
with my idiosyncrasies and continuing to feed me. I AM the resident expert in
this product at my shop and thought I knew its usage very well. I had never
heard of the VSAM* series and tried it at once. The header for the returned
screen was

V=IBM P=MVS REFERENCE INFO. R=Z/OS V1 & PRIOR I=VSAMOPEN D=M

which supprized me. I expected someting like:

V=IBM P=DATA MACROS R=V1R5 I=* D=M

I'm sure all of the information in this manual is available in QW through
other routes but looking at this books TOC through the List
Vendors/Products/Releases screen of QW gives me a new way of finding a LOT of
very diverse categories quickly. I may even TextMark it if I can manage to
give up one my existing (only 8 so stingy they are) textmarks.

David Speake
TM Floyd & Company
Information Systems/Programming Support
BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina
Columbia SC
United States of America
(803) 264-8003

CARNES, CHRISTOPHER D

Apr 28, 2005, 11:57:21 AM4/28/05
Hope this helps.

********************* Text Below Copyright (c) 2005, IBM
*********************

- VSAM Request Macro Return Codes and Error Reason Codes -

OPEN Return Code (in register 15):

Dec. Hex. Meaning

---- ----

0 0 OPEN was successful for all data sets

4 4 OPEN worked for all data sets, but a warning

message was issued

8 8 One or more data sets specified on the OPEN

request were not successfully opened

12 C The OPEN was for bot VSAM and non-VSAM data
sets;
the VSAM file opened successfully, but the

non-VSAM file did not.

16 10 SMSVSAM server was unavailable for RLS.

OPEN error codes from ACB (get via SHOWCB if return code is non-zero)

Dec. Hex. Meaning

---- ----

0 0 ACB is in use by another task, or ACB address

passed to OPEN is bad

72 48 The RLS "Lost/Retained locks" state is set for
the
data set being opened.

76 4C The Interrupt Recognition Flag was found to be
on
for a data set opened for input processing

(warning message).

88 58 While performing EOV processing, an extend
error
occurred previously. For RLS processing, an

error occurred on "delete vol".

92 5C The SHROPTIONS defined for the data and index

components are different (warning message).

96 60 Unusable data set opened for output

(warning message).

100 64 Upgrade set includes an empty AIX at open time

(warning message).

101 65 The open was successful despite the sphere
being
in the lost locks state.

102 66 The open was successful despite the sphere
being
in a non-RLS update permitted state.

103 67 The open was successful despite the sphere
being
in both a lost locks state and non-RLS update

permitted state.

104 68 Timestamp mismatch between catalog entry and

volume information for data set (warning
message).
108 6C Data and index component timestamps do not
agree
(warning message).

110 6E Journaling is stopped because the JRNAD exit
was
not specified on the first ACB opened for the
data
set.

116 74 Data set was not closed properly when last used

and VERIFY was not done at OPEN (warning
message).
118 76 Data set was not closed properly when last used

but VERIFY was done at OPEN (warning message).

128 80 DD statement for ACB is missing from JCL

132 84 This error code indicates that one of several

possible errors has occurred:

o no storage for OPEN work areas

o needed volume was not mounted

o catalog name supplied by user doesn't match

catalog name for data set

o job not authorized to open catalog as a data
set
o Format-1 DSCB or catalog cluster record is
bad
o I/O error accessing JFCB

136 88 Virtual storage needed for buffers and control

blocks is not available

140 8C Data set's physical record size is invalid;

information came from catalog entry for data
set
144 90 I/O error accessing catalog record for data set

145 91 I/O error accessing VVDS for data set's volume

148 94 No catalog entry found - see message IDC3009I
for
catalog access return code

152 98 RACF has denied access to the data set, or a

password mismatch was detected

160 A0 Inconsistent operands on GENCB or ACB macro;

check for the following:

o ACBRST option with path or LSR/GSR processing

o ACBACI option wuth KSDS or LSR/GSR
processing,
or BLKSIZE noth equal to CI size, or path

processing, or a replicated index, or
sequence
set with data requested

o ACBUBF option requested & ACBCNV not
specified,
or ACBUBF option was specified and ACBADR or

ACBKEY specified, or LSR/GSR requested with

ACBUBF option

o ACBSDS option specified with upgrade
processing,
path processing, or LSR/GSR processing

o ACBCBIC option specified but ACBICI not
specified
or LSR/GSR was specified

o bufferspace amount supplied is too small

o volume needed was not mounted

o empty data set opened for input processing

164 A4 I/O error occurred reading volume label

167 A7 An abend occurred during OPEN or CLOSE
processing.
168 A8 Data set can't be used for type of processing

requested - check to see if the data set has
the
INHIBIT attribute, or if your open for RESET of

a reusable data set can't be done because the

data set is in use currently by someone else

169 A9 Either 1) the version of DFSMS/MVS does not
have
RLS support or 2) the ACB being closed is

connected using a previous instance of SMSVSAM

(the ACB is invalid).

170 AA An ACB specifies a SUBSYSNM name registered to
previous server instance.

171 AB CF cache is unavailable from this system but is

required.

172 AC CF Cache structure failed.

173 AD CF cache structure is in a quiescing or
quiesced
state but is required.

174 AE An attempt was made to open a data set for
output
to a recoverable sphere; SUBSYSNM was not

specified in the ACB.

175 AF Open failed because locks have been lost. This

is an attempt by a new sharing SUBSYSNM to
access
a data set for which not all recovery has

completed.

176 B0 VSAM routines could not page-fix one or more

storage areas

177 B1 The sphere is marked VSAM-quiesced and the open
is
rejected.

178 B2 The sphere is VSAM-quiescing and this OPEN
request
is a new application. The open is rejected

179 B3 The sphere is VSAM-quiescing in preparation for
data set copy. The open is rejected

180 B4 Catalog name supplied in JCL can't be found and

the data set being accessed is not cataloged in

any known catalog

181 B5 The DISP specified is not consistent with

DISP specified by another application that has

opened this data set for RLS access. Either
this
application is requesting DISP=SHR while
another
application holds DISP=OLD or vice-versa.

182 B6 The SMSVSAM server is not available.

183 B7 The catalog contains invalid backup while open

(BWO) flags.

184 B8 During an I/O request, an uncorrectable I/O
error
occurred.

188 BC ACB points to a non-VSAM data set

190 BE The catalog entry contains an invalid
hi-allocated
RBA for this data set. The catalog entry is bad

and will have to be restored.

192 C0 Unusable data set was opened for output
processing
193 C1 Data set was opened for output, but its
Interrupt
Recognition Flag was on, indicating that it was

not closed properly previously

194 C2 An attempt was made to open an AIX cluster or
an
individual component of a KSDS data set. The
open
failed.

195 C3 The CF (coupling facility) CACHESET name was
not
specified for the SMS Storage Class.

196 C4 You tried to access this data set via a path
that
is empty or access a data set for RLS
processing
with an AIX which is not part of the upgrade
set.
197 C5 User's ACB did not specify recovery processing,

but the catalog indicated RLS recovery
required.
198 C6 Because a volume quiesce is in progress or a

required volume is marked as "quiesced.", an
open
is rejected

200 C8 Volume is unusable, based on information from
VTOC
201 C9 The sphere is not currently assigned to a

CF cache and there are no CF caches available
from
this system which could be assigned to the
sphere.
202 CA The SUBSYSNM name specified is different from
the
subsystem name registered for this address
space.
203 CB JRNAD Exit requested for ACB being opened for
RLS
processing.

204 CC GSR or CBIC was requested via the ACB MACRF,
but
program issuing OPEN is not executing in key 0

through 7

205 CD Non-APF authorized program issued OPEN with

ACBCATX option or for a VSAM volume

206 CE The LOG parameter associated with the base
cluster
is undefined.

207 CF RLS SUBSYSNM name contains invalid characters.

208 D0 GSR requested on a VS1 system

209 D1 User logic error detected on RLS open.

210 D2 RLS open requested for non-SMS managed data
set.

212 D4 LSR or GSR was requested, but load module

processing is required for this data set

216 D8 LSR or GSR was requested, but the key length

for the data set is greater than that specified

on the BLDVRP request

220 DC LSR or GSR was requested, but the CI size

for the data set is greater than that specified

for the largest buffer on the BLDVRP request

224 E0 ICI processing was requested, but load module

processing is required for this data set

228 E4 No buffer pool or VSAM Shared Resources Table

was found, even though LSR or GSR processing
was
requested

232 E8 Non-reusable non-empty data set was opened with

the RESET option

236 EC MSS staging error has occurred

240 F0 Volume timestamp mismatch was detected

244 F4 Catalog Recovery Area volume was not mounted or

verified for output processing

245 F5 An attempt was made to open a compressed format

data set without sufficient hardware, ESCON

channels and concurrent copy capable control

units. Another cause is a compressed format

device was required.

246 F6 A failure was detected with the compression

management services open or close function.

247 F7 While retrieving the dictionary token from the

extended format cell, an error occurred .

****************************** BOTTOM OF DATA
********************************

---------------------------------- V=IBM P=MVS REFERENCE INFO. R=Z/OS
V1 & PRIOR I=VSAMGET D=M -----------------------------------
********************* Text Below Copyright (c) 2005, IBM
*********************

- VSAM Request Macro Return Codes and Error Reason Codes -

The VSAM record management macros GET, PUT, POINT, ERASE, CHECK,

ENDREQ, GETIX, PUTIX, ACQRANGE, CNVTAD, MNTACQ, MRKBFR, SCHBFR, and

WRTBFR return error reason codes in the RPL feedback word, structured

as follows:

RPLFUNCD - 1 byte <==== mapped by IDARMRCD macro

RPLRTNCD - 1 byte <==== holds R15 value after error

RPLCMPON - 1 byte <==== indicates component being accessed

RPLERRCD - 1 byte <==== indicates type of error

The RPLRTNCD, RPLCMPCD, and RPLERRCD fields can be displayed after an

error using the SHOWCB macro for the RPL in question. Possible values

for the RPLCMPON byte are:

0 - base cluster being processed, upgrade set status correct

1 - base cluster being processed, upgrade set status may be incorrect

2 - AIX being processed, upgrade set status correct

3 - AIX being processed, upgrade set status may be incorrect

4 - upgrade set being processed, upgrade set status correct

5 - upgrade set being processed, upgrade set status may be incorrect

Possible R15 (RPLRTNCD) values for synchronous and asynchronous GET,

PUT, POINT, ERASE, CHECK, ENDREQ, GETIX, PUTIX, ACQRANGE, CNVTAD,

MNTACQ, MRKBFR, SCHBFR, and WRTBFR requests are:

Dec. Hex. Meaning

---- ----

0 0 Request was accepted and processed

4 4 Request failed because RPL was already in used
for
another request

8 8 Logical error occurred - see RPL feedback
fields
12 C Physical error occurred - see RPL feedback
fields

Possible RPLERRCD values for RPLRTNCD (Register 15) values of 0
(request
accepted) from VSAM record management macros:

------------------------------ If R15 = 0
-----------------------------

Dec. Hex. Meaning

---- ----

0 0 Success

4 4 Success; VSAM requested more space or mounted a

needed volume

8 8 If GET request, duplicate alternate key exists;

If PUT, duplicate alternate key was created

12 C WRTBFR macro should be used to write all
buffers
16 10 Sequence-set record written into new CI because

it has enlarged

20 14 Data set not on virtual DASD - ACQRANGE/MNTACQ/

CNVTAD request

24 18 Buffer not modified - no buffer write performed

28 1C Addressed GET NUP detected CI split indication

32 20 TERMRPL could not restart deferred asynchronous

request. For RPL request, no update locks
exist
for this CICS address space, transaction, and

sphere.

36 24 TERMRPL detected an error; I/O failed while in

progress, or data was invalidated that needed
be written

40 28 TERMRPL processing found an error in PLH BUFC

pointer

43 2B With an extended format call, the dictionary

token has been retrieved or updated by EOV.

44 2C Catalog statistics has been updated by EOV.

Possible RPLERRCD values for RPLRTNCD (Register 15) values of 8
(logical
error) from VSAM record management macros if no LERAD exit exists:

------------------------------ If R15 = 8
-----------------------------

Dec. Hex. Meaning

---- ----

4 4 GET after end-of-file, or end-of-file
encountered
during skip-sequential or sequential
processing,
or key used is beyond end of data set

8 8 Attempt to store duplicate key, or duplicate
key
found in AIX for which UNIQUEKEY option applied

12 C Key sequence error found in KSDS or RRDS

16 10 No record found or RBA missing from buffer pool

20 14 Needed buffer under exclusive control of
another
request

21 15 Some Logical Unit of Work with a different
LUWID has
been found to hold an exclusive lock on an RLS

request.

22 16 Some Logical Unit of Work with a different
LUWID has
been found to hold an exclusive lock on an RLS

request.

24 18 Needed record is on volume which cannot be
mounted
28 1C VSAM could not allocate additional needed space

on DASD - no space found or DISP=SHR was set in

JCL for a SHAREOPTIONS=4 cluster

32 20 RBA points outside of data set

36 24 Cluster has key ranges option set, but this
record
does not fit in any key range defined

40 28 Not enough storage in address space - increase

region

44 2C GET with OPTCD=MVE failed because work area is
not
large enough

48 30 TERMRPL request included bad options - one or
more
of these is true:

o spanned records exist in data set

o load mode active

o end of volume condition detected

o VSAM local or global shared resources active

o RPL in use is for asynchronous request

o CNV processing active

o RPLs are chained

o user not in supervisor state or key 0

o path processing active

o data set is a RRDS

52 34 Prior request was TERMRPL

56 38 During backup while open request, a CI/CA split

occurred and a catalog update error occurred.
If the
request is for RLS, the RLS RPL is being used
or
reused incorrectly: the ACB or LUWID has been

changed.

64 40 Not enough storage to dynamically add another

string

68 44 Data set was opened for processing type
different
than that set on last request

72 48 ESDS accessed using a key, or ESDS/RRDS
accessed
using GETIX or PUTIX

For an RLS request, GETIX or PUTIX cannot be
used.
76 4C CI PUT iissued for RRDS or CI (or addressed)
PUT
issued for KSDS

80 50 ERASE issued for ESDS or path to ESDS or with
CI
access in affect

84 54 OPTCD=LOC set for UBF processing, PUT
processing,
a chained RPL, or an RLS request. This is not

allowed.

88 58 Sequential GET issued without prior
positioning,
or sequential PUT to RRDS issued without prior

positioning, or keyed access switched to
without
informing VSAM first

92 5C PUTIX issued without GETIX, or PUT for update

(or ERASE) issued without prior GET for update

96 60 Prime key or key-of-reference changed during

update process

100 64 record length altered during update process

104 68 RPL options conflict; check for these items:

o ICI processing with request other than GET or
PUT
o SKP set with BWD or without KEY

o Both LRD and FWD specified

o ACB does not indicate LSR/GSR but WAITX set
in
RPL

o BFRNO < 1 or > # of buffers in buffer pool

o RPL does not indicate KEY, CNV, or ADR
processing
o CNV processing with BWD set

o TRANSID > 31 for SCHBFR/WRTBFR/MRKBFR
processing
shared resource option not set

o MARKBFR issued but no buffer is in use for
RPL

108 6C RECLEN > maximum allowable value, RECLEN=0, or

less than KEYLEN + KEY offset in record

112 70 KEYLEN = 0 or > (RECLEN - key offset)

116 74 Bad request type for initial data set load

operation

120 78 Request issued from TCB other than TCB that has

the data set open

124 7C JRNAD exit cancelled request

128 80 While performing an index search, a loop was

detected in the index horizontal pointer chain.

132 84 Spanned record read while in locate mode

136 88 GET for spanned record issued using addressed

access, but data set is a KSDS

140 8C Segment update number in spanned record is bad

144 90 Pointer in AIX does not point at a base record

148 94 Max number of pointers allowed in AIX has been

exceeded

152 98 Insufficient buffers available to handle shared

resource request

156 9C Bad CI found during keyed processing - RPL
holds
bad CI's RBA

160 A0 Buffer left in write status with modified
contents
164 A4 Bad option combination set for

ACQRANGE/CNVTAD/MNTACQ processing

168 A8 Bad RPL found for ACQRANGE/CNVTAD/MNTACQ
processing
For RLS processing, the RPLAREA is zero.

172 AC SVC 126 returned error for MNTTACQ or ACQRANGE

176 B0 Staging failure MNTTACQ or ACQRANGE request

180 B4 RBA or volume error occurred during MNTTACQ or

ACQRANGE request. For RLS request, a non

recoverable data set is used incorrectly.

184 B8 SVC 126 returned catalog error. For RLS
request, an
abend occurred during processing.

185 B9 During request processing for RLS request, a
user
task was cancelled.

186 BA While attempting to extend a data set, end of
volume
initialization failed.

188 BC Subpool 241 storage not available when needed.
For
RLS request, the sphere is in lost locks state.

192 C0 Bad relative record number used

196 C4 RRDS open but last request was addressed
request
200 C8 CI or addressed access used for a path

204 CC BWD mode in affect when either PUT insert
request
issued or, for RLS request, IDALKADD request
issued.
208 D0 ENDREQ issued for RPL in WAIT condition - no

ENDREQ processing was performed

212 D4 Index record could not be split during CI split

processing - increase index CI sizes

218 DA The return code was invalid.

224 E0 MRKBFR OUT issued for buffer with bad contents

228 E4 SRB or cross memory mode caller used RPL
without
SYN specified, or cross memory mode caller not

executing in supervisor state

229 E5 During decompression, the record length changed

230 E6 The user of the UPAD exit changed the
processing
environment.

232 E8 ECB was not posted by caller in cross memory
mode
236 EC SHAREOPTIONS 3 or 4 set when validity check
failed
237 ED Reserved

238 EE Reserved

239 EF Reserved

240 F0 Shared resources in use and buffer use chain

was changed, or buffer acquired with exclusive

control, or buffer was invalidated

241 F1 Reserved

242 F2 Reserved

243 F3 Reserved

244 F4 Stack size for R14 not large enough

245 F5 During compression management services, a
severe
error was detected during a compress call.

246 F6 During compression management services, a
severe
error was detected during a compress call.

248 F8 Return offset in R14 was found to be a negative

number

250 FA During a decompress request, the dictionary
token
was found to be invalid or to not exit.

252 FC Linear data set in use but record mode
processing
was requested

253 FD VERIFY issued for linear data set, which is

invalid

254 FE WRTBFR TYPE=DS issued but I/O activity still in

progress. I/O must be quiesced first.

Possible RPLERRCD values for RPLRTNCD (Register 15) values of 12

(physical error) from VSAM record management macros if no SYNAD exit

exists:

----------------------------- If R15 = 12
-----------------------------

Dec. Hex. Meaning

---- ----

4 4 Read I/O error for base data set

8 8 Read I/O error for index set

12 C Read I/O error accessing sequence set

16 10 Write I/O error occurred accessing base data
set
20 14 Write I/O error occurred accessing index set

24 18 Write I/O error accessing sequence set

36 24 CF Cache Structure connection failed for RLS

40 28 CF Cache Structure failed for RLS

44 2C An invalid physical record suffix (located in
the CI
at the RBA indicated in the RPL) is detected.

****************************** BOTTOM OF DATA
*******************************

Jeff Byrum

Apr 28, 2005, 12:13:04 PM4/28/05
I second that! Thanks, the QW VSAM* displays are *really* helpful!

David, what is a "textmark"?

Jeff

"Em momentos de crise, só a imaginação é mais importante que o conhecimento"

(Albert Einstein)

bizzorg

May 2, 2005, 7:45:45 PM5/2/05
Fellow Rexxorcisers,

I use REXX to extract dataset space information from DCOLLECT data. I
can report on dataset Space allocated and used from all except VSAM
datasets. Where, oh where would I get this information, or is there a
formula I can use with Allocated and used RBA?

Regards,
Ike Hunley

Robert Zenuk

May 2, 2005, 8:36:01 PM5/2/05
In a message dated 5/2/2005 4:45:41 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
biz...@COMCAST.NET writes:

Where, oh where would I get this information, or is there a
formula I can use with Allocated and used RBA?

For a standard VSAM KSDS; (HURBA/HARBA)*100 = %USED

Harrington, Mark

May 3, 2005, 2:55:29 PM5/3/05
if you have vsum you can get it from there